I think we can agree that plein air painting is challenging?

Yep I'll take a freezing cold day w relatively still air over a hot but breezy day out in the god-forsaken sun any.time..

This is my time of the year and I do way much more art work. I have no air conditioning and my studio does get uncomfortable. Plus, I just plain-old love winter.

THE watercolorist to me, however, was J.M.W. Turner

1954.129_o10.jpg

DP821057.jpg

july1922turnerj.m.w.The-Pass-of-St-Gotthard-1843watercolor.jpg

Turner broke every purist rule in the book in his watercolors as well as his oil paintings. His watercolors frequently employed Gouache or another opaque paint and even pastel at times. He frequently employed watercolors to add the lightest whisps of color in his oil paintings... or even employed collage elements.

Turner was so ahead of his time and all his work is gorgeous and inspiring. However, I'm doubtful that many of his paintings were done en plein air. This thread seems to have veered off a good bit.

If you think plein air is challenging, take a look at our latest video to see how absolutely fun it can be! (By tomorrow it will be processed to 4K.)

That looks like great fun!
(But if you want challenging you should come over here where the winter storms are chasing eachother..🥶)

If I were near I'd be there. Looks like a blast. Some good painters there as well to learn from. Enjoy it Bartc.

That looks like great fun!
(But if you want challenging you should come over here where the winter storms are chasing eachother..🥶)
Which is exactly why I moved away from your kind of climate 50 years ago! LOL

Way cool - amazing that there are that many Plein air painters in one area getting together. And quite a diversity of equipment and skillset. I keep hoping for a break in the weather here so I can get back out. I bought a half box french easel just for grins, that I want to fool around with.

Way cool - amazing that there are that many Plein air painters in one area getting together. And quite a diversity of equipment and skillset. I keep hoping for a break in the weather here so I can get back out. I bought a half box french easel just for grins, that I want to fool around with.
We have 100 registered in our group, but really about 40-50 regulars who float in and out of painting meetups. About 20+ are at pretty much every site and date I set up. It's fun to see and learn from one another's work, believe me. It's a labor of love (and for my own benefit too) to organize these every two weeks across a broad geographic area. Our climate and geography are the real drivers that make this possible. But I do encourage those of you in other places and other weather to organize your own groups; more fun that way, more painting plein air pieces artists are likely to produce.

Back