Hunt #58 – Feb 19 – Feb 27

Robin: Hello back... Don't you just love the tangy art vibe in this place. 😊

Sylwia: Thank you for such beautiful bouquet... It has given me so much positive vibe.... now I wanna be peeking next to your art space !!!

Paul: Thank you for your kind wise words on everyone's sketches.

Stephanie: I forgot to mention that 20 years ago, when I was in the US. I had some collection of Troll... I must have at least more than 10. I gave them away when I moved back to Thailand.

Last edited:
#9 has skin ... my students
#10 sub. outdoor fun with indoor (not so) fun :rolleyes: ... my students taking exam...

h58_proctor-a.jpg

h58_proctor-b.jpg

Ai, love the sketch of the pond. It is odd to see the water so green. I like that there are places to sketch and eat that are so nice! Your student sketches are so good...really captured the pose with their heads down and concentrating.

Jo, thanks. Nice outdoor sketches. Good inking. I like your pill dispenser from the medicine cabinet. I have one on the table and one in the medicine cabinet.

Paul, how great to have an indoor spot with a good view. Glad you brought along your supplies. I'm not one that loves filled chocolates (except for Lindt truffles). I'd rather have solid chocolate and I am slowly getting to like dark chocolate so I can use the reasoning that it is healthy. lol Thanks for reminding me that those characters with the colorful hair were called Trolls...senior moment and I couldn't remember.

Robin, glad to see you even if you haven't had sketching time yet.

Sylwia, how great to have live plants nearby. Nicely done!!

Jo: Do you like Art street sketchbook? Does it do well with wc, or is it more like for a quick pen-wash, mixed media type ?
Ai, the ArtStreet is just paper for pencil or pen sketching. No water. I think it is for kids. I got it at the Dollar Store once when I forgot my sketchbook. I love your sketches of the students. So descriptive. Well done.

Paul, great sketch out the window a la Ned. Nice shadows and lines. Applause!

Robin, hope you get to sketch soon. Thanks for the comments.

We are going to the Post Office, I will look for some outdoor fun. I bought a new sketchbook to leave in the car, don't remember what kind. Ha. Back later.

Last edited:
Joan: Thank you.

Jo: Thanks for the sketchbook info.

Stephanie: Those fruits are so well done.

Ai, the ArtStreet is just paper for pencil or pen sketching. No water. I think it is for kids. I got it at the Dollar Store once when I forgot my sketchbook. I love your sketches of the students. So descriptive. Well done.
Ai, I was going from memory on the paper. I decided to check. It does take the light watercolor. Markers bleed through.

Stephanie, Fun that you got your apple in as well. Good still life to cover your found objects. I like your hatching and shadows. Pretty.

We made it to get a hot dog at our new cart on Main Street. Shades of New York, eh? Took the hotdogs to the park to eat and sketch "outdoor fun". It is cool and cloudy so no one was having any fun. Ha. Thanks, Joan for the idea. This is in the new Strathmore Visual Journal, 5.5 x 8 inches. 68 pages. Got it at Jerry's Artarama in Austin. I wanted a new Canson Mix Media but didn't find one. This is OK but I like the Canson paper better. It will be left in the car with the small watercolor box and a new pen, Acurit .30 permanent, acid-free, non-fading, pigment ink. The pen seems good and cheaper than the Micron and Zig. We shall see.

Number 10 outdoor fun - playground
csshfl58outdoor.jpg

cs58sketchbook-pen.jpg

Stephanie, nice work on all three pieces of fruit. I like your shading.

Jo, nice outdoor fun sketch. Not as crowded as the play area I went to the other day. I've used the Visual Journals a few times. Lately I've been using the Canson XL watercolor sketchbook for a lot of my sketches. I use a Stillman & Birn sketchbook too. The sketchbooks, like everything else have gotten so expensive. Michaels had a BOGO 50% off sale and I had a coupon for $5 off so I couldn't beat the Canson price. I go through watercolor/mixed media sketchbooks pretty fast. I have a lot of sketchbooks that aren't meant to be used with wet media but I usually try anyway. lol

Nothing new for the hunt...maybe later tonight. I have mostly indoor items left to do and when I'm home I'm usually too lazy to get up and search for the items. lol

Thanks Jo & Joan for the sketchbook idea.

Jo: I'm glad you will have a mini-wc sketching set in a car ready for your future outing. ... Have fun. Even me, I sketch with wc often, I still having problem of packing for each sketch trip. I always take things out, or put things in, totry out new idea... so I never have a stable materials set... Uhm... did I do anything wrong ???

Joan: It is great too, to feel relax or lazy at home some... as you have been so art active daily. We got to live.

Good news, we are visiting my MIL in Atlanta in the first 2 weeks of April. My MIL has moved from Birmingham, AL to ATL 3 years ago, to be with Tone's big sister. I still have to teach online 2 Sat. nights though during the trip... so that makes me not want to travel far out of our place in Atlanta. But I'm looking forward to the trip, as I have not visited the US. for over 5 years and it is great to see some of my in-laws family. My art materials shopping basket on Amazon has grew fast in size... help me !!!

Last edited:
Ai - Nice work on both mice. The vertical one looks interesting. Interesting bookshelf. Ai, you always paint the most interesting cuisines. The monochrome of the head of David is a great find. You have both3 interesting cuisine and interesting cafes! Hard to believe the dyes do not hurt the fish or vegetation. Hope your trip to the states is fun and artfully profitable.

Joan - Love the composition of the lady on the bench. Nice line quality on the ink sketches. Tech pen or fountain pen? The rock, the gate and the swings are all well done.

Sylwia - You definitely captured crunchy.

Brian - the Apple is very good but the knife is excellent. Like the hatching on the florals.

EP - Nice group of sketches. The Apple peel in the trash can for skin made me laugh. Thanks.

Paul - Nice page of sketches. I especially like the shading on the tissues. Paul great monochrome landscape. Good find put to great use.

Stephanie - like the soft colors on the knife sketch. The hair sketch is fun. Have not seen one of those little Trolls in decades. Nice sketch of the plate of fruit.

Jo - Love the apple pastel. Nice group o& pen sketches wish they were bigger to enjoy more. Looks like your new sketchbook is off to a good start. Hope you learn to like it.

Am over my art funk and back to work on my course. (Thanks Jo.)

Keep sketching
Joe

Today I went out plein air sketching at Chateau Williams, 123 years old estate home in Bangkok, with BangkokSketchers Group.

#11 Has windows ....done with wc+pencil ... about 8x13 inch

h58_estate_a.jpg

h58_estate_c.jpg

#12 sub. gate with door ... done with wc + pencil, about 15x12 inch

h58_estate_b.jpg

Four more for me: 8.5" x 11.5" Sketch pad with green ink... trying out all my different color ink pens

GreenINK.jpg

#11. Pump Spray --- Body Lotion
#12. In a Box --- Envelopes
#13. Has a Lock ---- door
#14 Something that has Skin --- hand
#15. Something that has Buttons --- shirt sleeve

Joan, I have about 6 or so sketchbooks going at once. Never the one I want or think would be good for the moment. I still have some of the coasters but forget about them. We haven't been going to breakfast at the Texas Grill where I used to get the different cups. Hmm.

Thanks Ai, oh, wish I could get to Atlanta. We aren't traveling at all now. Maybe we can at least talk on the phone. Wonderful that you will be in the States for the girls. The sketches at the Chateau are so lovely. Thanks for the photos, too.

Joe, happy that you are working on your class. You inspire me to dig out the pastels once in a while.

Paul, I like your idea for skin. Good page of "finds". I like the idea of an envelope box. Maybe I can actually do sketch my hand while I watch baseball today. We were going to the game, but it is damp and only in the 50s. Supposed to be 80 tomorrow so hope to go.

Hi to all! I got busy but dropped by occasionally to enjoy the sketches/drawings/paintings. So many new ones when I looked again this morning! I've been leaving my pocket sketchbook and the little camera in my car... There are one or two out there from this hunt. I'll try to post tomorrow.

Jo -- yesterday was the first home game ( watched online ) and I'm going today! This makes me unreasonably happy -- somehow it means so much more than baseball but that spring is almost here, gardening soon, daffodils and fruit trees blooming, sunshine, summer not that far away, baseball on the radio...

Paul -- your drawing made me realize something kind of neat for me. I immediately thought how much I liked it -- and how well you did with something I struggle with: simplifying. But it made me realize I've been moving in a direction I like! It was almost accidental... I mostly started the ink wash to learn value and working with a brush, or as an under-painting for color. Then it turned into something for its own sake. I didn't really understand that until I noticed how much I like what you drew!

Ai, that is great news that you are coming to Atlanta...wish it was a little closer. I am sure you are all excited about the trip. That estate home came out wonderful...so many windows and shades too. My favorite is the one looking out the door. Nice composition and color on that. It really draws you through the door.

Joe, thanks. I think I used a micron pen for that sketch of the lady. I usually use my Lamy pen but I keep forgetting to refill the ink! Glad your art funk is over!!

Paul, fun green ink sketches. Robin is the one that I expect to see using ink in different colors. I like the look!

Jo, I can't imagine how many sketchbooks I have going. When I go out I usually have 2 with me...one that I can use for watercolor and another with paper that isn't really meant for wc but works fairly well. Sometimes I think ahead and bring a toned paper one along. It is good that most of the time I have my car and don't have to carry anything far.

Ned, good to see you commenting. I think my hubby said the Yankees play their first exhibition game this weekend. I'll wait until the real season starts. Hope you had nice weather for the game.

Joe 1, nice to see your sketch.

12 - found in the laundry - ink

IMG_1882.jpeg

13 - comes in a (partly) clear package - ink

IMG_1884.jpeg

Hi everyone.
Ned, hey there. Glad you are finding the ink wash and working with it fun. That is always good. I'm with you on baseball being a sign of spring. It was always time to make our reservations for the summers in Angel Fire. We aren't traveling much as I am the only driver. We don't garden but I love to see others. We listen to the University of Texas games on the radio when they are away. They have the local games on TV so that is good. We aren't going to night games or bad weather days. Ha. I should have so much more time as is is an hour and a half to go to Austin and get in the parking, each way. What will I do with all that time???

joe1lt, ah your mouse is great. I see it is after the snacks! A hungry mouse. (Maybe that doesn't translate well from English. Bad joke, eh? )Well done.

Joan, I do so like your line drawings. They always have form without shadows, etc. Nice touch you have. I like the jug and the pen package.

I ended up sketching before the game so a quick one in the ArtStreet sketchbook with a Micron 02 that is about empty and not much nib left. Worked for some light lines.
Number 10 in a jar or bottle - chile
Number 11 - something with skin
csshfl58skin.jpg

Ai - like the chateau with all the shutters and shadows. I am with Joan I like the composition of the doorway view.

Paul - Do you sketch directly in ink or draw a pencil contour first? Nice hatching and line quality. Great take on skin. Sometimes the obvious eludes me. 😎

Ned - Sounds like you have found a media and style that simply fits. 😊 (Could not resist.)

Joe1 - Nice mouse sketch.

Joan - Nice ink sketches. I tend to shy away from print unless it is head on. Printing in perspective is a pain.

Jo - great hatching on the jar of Hatch salsa. The hand i# great.

Working on a pastel of a little girl blowing bubbles Fir the course. Unfortunately all the projects are from photos so no way to make them fit a Hunt. But I keep lurking.

Keep sketching
Joe

Back