Hunt #58 – Feb 19 – Feb 27

#16. Found Outside --- Sketched outside with Urban Sketchers yesterday..

HighStreet.jpg

NOTA BENE - OFF TOPIC
Am not sure where to properly post this. Found an AI type spot that generates images and played with it. Looked at our list and picked ‘has a pump spray’. The prompt took some tweaking but ended up using “A manual spray bottle, graphite drawing“ and it generated several images. Here are two I liked. The whole idea just blew me away and wanted to share. The program can actually generate art.

26899DD6-1FD6-47F7-9189-3FB1BB3F2450.jpeg

B0ACA768-F201-4A8F-92EC-B668C3061E26.jpeg

Last edited:
changed the prompt to “A manual spray bottle still life, Watercolor painting” and it generated 4 paintings here is one example.

5AEDD9CB-A774-4D95-BA7A-0553352FFA4C.jpeg

Jo, nice hatching on your jar of salsa in your hand.

Joe, my biggest problem with print is getting to fit in the whole word/words. I often run out of space. Keep lurking if you don't have anything to post. AI worries me. You can use it for any kind of art you want and in any materials. I'm afraid it will make artists obsolete!

Paul, so glad to see you getting out to sketch...and people too!

14 - has skin - watercolors and ink
15 - has hair

IMG_1876.jpeg

Last edited:
Joe - I've played with midjourney quite a bit, and put a few hunt prompts into it too :) It's pretty amazing what it can do. I've been using it to generate a large collection of ideas for woodcut printing ( which I'm hoping to get into someday after I retire )....

Ai: Thanks.... nice pen sketches of your stidents, well done building and door

Jo: Thanks... colorful playground, nice. Nice to see you get to the ball park
It is still a bit cold here for staying out too long, 80 degrees sounds terrific. The jar of
green chile salsa looks delicious and well done hand.

Stephanie: Great fruit sketch, healthy for sure, like the colored pencil

Joe: Thanks...Typically I sketch with pencil first then pen and or watercolor.
On occasions I sketch direct with pen and I actually like the result
better but it is inconsistent. I need to put my big boy pants and leave them on.
I like that AI stuff what program is that?

Ned: Thanks... I find monochrome paintings quite appealing myself.

Joe1lt. Your mouse is well done great pencil work.

Joan: Thanks... I purchased a package of Tombow pens that came in 10 different
colors. I think you will be seeing some very different ink sketches. Nice clothes
detergent, I am pretty sure that is what my wife uses. Great ice skating scene. Wish I thought of the
case my pens came in good choice... and thanks for hosting

Paul - Thanks. I have a few Tombow markers (mostly greys that I bought for a class). They are fun to sketch with and if you sketch with the light grey markers and add watercolors, the marker nearly disappears. So it is a great way to lay out the design before you start painting. Enjoy them!

16 - found on my bookshelf (lots of photos, glass objects, etc) - ink

IMG_1891.jpeg

11 - sweet hubby - watercolor pencil

IMG_1887.jpeg

18 - has buttons - watercolor pencil

IMG_1894.jpeg

19 - in a box - ink

IMG_1890.jpeg

Super art works: Joan, Paul.

Joe:
Thank you for sharing the AI generated arts. I teach AI class too, yes I am a bit worry for artists, as people who need art works and don't want to pay high price for real artists may opt to use this generated AI version. Now the state of the art of AI, besides chatGPT, codeGPT...they are training the advance neural networks with tons of video clips, so AI can learn to predict or generate the outcome video. So we can use this knowledge pattern to detect abnormality pattern. Even me I find it is very difficult for me to keep up with AI tech to be ready to teach my students and do cutting edge research too...

Well I'll post my list of next hunt later today. I do not forget.

Oh, my gosh, how time flies. Lots of neat stuff here.

Joe, let us know when the bubbles are finished. The AI art is so interesting, if a bit scary. Maybe it will inspire!

Paul, look at you out and about. Nice High Street Place, looks like I could find a glass of wine. :) The salsa does look good. May try it tomorrow. I have leftover fried catfish, could use it for a dip or over the top!

Joan, your hair and skin are amazing. Fun to see the skaters. You are so good at finding interesting things for the Hunt. Joan your shelf is so interesting with all the "stuff". Jerry is looking good. Good buttons and box. You almost did the whole list.

NedL, woodcuts sound like fun. I guess AI would be fun to inspire us.

I worked on a watercolor for the Water Media Challenge so from a photo. No real life sketch. I also see my "car sketchbook" on the chair so I wouldn't forget it!! I wouldn't have sketched at baseball, but might have for our late lunch of catfish. Ha.

Sorry for my lack of comments this time around.

Jo - I like everything about the paper in those Strathmore mixed media visual journals, the off-white color, texture, weight. Not sure it would be very good with much water, and I know some people prefer bright white paper. I think the subtle cream color is perfect.

In the past few weeks I've realized that I might need to get "progressive" glasses. When I wear my glasses, things near to me are not in focus, and my drawings seem to look a lot better that way :). Maybe I'll try drawing without them for a while -- what I'm looking at will be a bit blurry, but maybe that's not the worst thing.

From last weekend, the only drawing from this week.

#1 water view w/ rocks
IMG_1464rs.jpg

Ned, great contribution. I love the expressive lines and freedom in this scene. Comments are appreciated but not necessary. I probably get too chatty.

Joan, thanks for this Hunt! I was surprised to do more than 3 or 4. See all y'all on the new Hunt.

Joan - great figures on the Rink.Nice proportions and perspective.

Ned - Woodcut printing sounds fun. I had an artist friend friend who was into carving. He did both 3D carving like birds and people as well as carvings that’s could have been used to do prints but he never made any prints. Just beautiful creations. Another nice seascape.

Paul - I asked about the pencil as drawing direct kind of scares me a# I use my erasers as much as my pencils. The website is a Stable Diffusions. The key is in creating the prompts.
https://huggingface.co/spaces/stabilityai/stable-diffusion

Joan - Nice sketches. I especially like how you used hatching to create depth. Excellent portrait of Jerry.

Ai - I watched some video on Skillshare about creating images with AI. The instructor kept caveating every time he said AI that it is really machine learning not AI. He also explained as you did that they have it look at Billions of pictures and then verbal descriptions of the pictures to learn. He also said “AI will no replace artists artists with AI will.”

Jo - Bubbles is finished. Just need one last look.

keep sketching
Joe

Joan: Love your portrait sketch of Jerry. You are on a roll well done. Thanks so much for hosting this cool Hunt.

Ned: Great to see your nature sketch. I also wearing a progressive glasses. It helps me sketch things far away.

The new Hunt#59 is posted here...

Joan: Thanks for the info on the Tombow light grey pen
there was one in the package I bought. Nice last minute sketches

Jo: Thanks

Ned: Nice ink and wash sketch of a water view, I like your line work and
shapes.

Joe: Thanks .... I use my eraser quite frequently my self I dont really do
any preplaning whe I sketch and continually change my mind as I go along.
Thanks for the info on the AI web site I plan to paly around with it.

Thanks for your comments everyone!

Ned, I've used a fair amount of water on the pages of the Strathmore Visual Journal and haven't had any problems. Nice to see your rocky coast with the nice ink washes.

Paul, I had a lot of encouragement from other sketchers to sketch directly in ink instead of pencil. I do that most of the time now unless I have something that I need to be careful with the perspective. I always depended too much on my eraser. lol

Glad to see so many of you participated in this hunt! I'm going to go print out Ai's new list.

Back