How to give a critique

ntl

Contributing Member
Things to consider to help us grow:
Positive
Focal point/Center of Interest (good to have, not a necessity, IMO)
Mood or Feeling
Creativity
Composition
Hue, Value, Chroma

What else can be added to a positive list?

What can be added for a negative list?
Plagiarism (not copying to learn)
Incorrectness: shadows in the wrong direction, horizon line off, size of elements off
Elements not appropriate: the wrong bark or branching on a tree

What else can be added to a negative list?

Please add your thoughts
There are a few "lists" on the web: here's one

Last edited:
Thanks ntl, this is a very good comprehensive list that can get people started on giving good critiques! I will try to think of more when I have half a brain. o_O

The guides originally given by Henry Rankin Poore and Ian Roberts are just as relevant today as they ever were.I have put out a free book you might find useful in this, you'll find it at: https://en.calameo.com/read/006503327ad682fc32541
That book is quite a great resource. I browsed it a bit, and think it would be quite useful. I am wondering if a mod could pin your post on a more accessible place in the forums, if this thread stops being active it might sink in oblivion (I bookmarked the link ;) )

I recently heard this..
When giving a critique it's good to put the criticism between two slices of sweetness.

Example:

"Nice painting! But this part of most of it is horrible. Oh but nice painting keep going!" Something like that.

I recently heard this..
When giving a critique it's good to put the criticism between two slices of sweetness.

Example:

"Nice painting! But this part of most of it is horrible. Oh but nice painting keep going!" Something like that.

We try to do something like that in school... especially when talking to a student's parents:

"Well Mrs. XYZ, Johnny is very good at tying his shoes... but he has absolutely no motor skills whatsoever."

haha, try to give constructive criticism if needed. People generally will appreciate that.

Back