Homemade Paint Trolley

Hausamann

Having a large easel really made me want a movable paint trolley. A trolley to hold and store all my paint tubes, pallet, brushes, solvents and mediums. This may sound a lot, but later on I added even more bits and pieces to the trolley.

First of all I went to a secondhand shop and bought a cheap four drawer bedside cabinet. I also found a large white microwave dishes for a palette. Later I bought four swivel trolley wheels, and needed timber from a hardware store. The rest is self explanatory from the photos - I hope.

TROLLEY_1.jpg

TROLLEY_2.jpg

TROLLEY_3.jpg

Other attachments will follow on an other day.

Looks very useable- although the added bits and bobs will show more of what you think you must have. Very clever thinking- it appears to have everything you might need. How long did it take you to make?

The microwave plaates were an excellent find- easy to clean and a good size.

And how long to decide it needed moreMoreMORE!? How heavy is it? Does it still move easily with all your added attractions?

Are the wheels the kind that roll along easily, or the kind where one stubborn one always wants to go in another direction?

Mine is nearly the same without wheels- a late 19th century commode we'd refinished and then just used for junk and it migrated back to my room as newer, nicer things came into our lives (we restore/repair antique furniture so we have waaay too much such stuff) Four drawers and a top- a narrow depth- which is good because my easel is HUGE. On top are my small go-bag flat box of pastels, my small 3-drawer usual suspect values and hues, a working-surface (clean folded-thick layers of paper towels upon which lie, in State, the colours and hues I've decided to use to start), the bristle brushes used to brush away offensive work, charcoal pencil and some odd woodless pastel pencils (so, narrow, pointy on one end, loooong sticks of hard colour- cheap, so not high chroma- if I use them, it's more for a tight spot feathering), and the remains of three boxes of Terry Ludwigs which I highly recommend to all the next time you win the lottery- holy carp they're great pastels!

The rest is various flat surfaces upon which things are stacked until I tire of the sight and so do something about it.

Usually close the door.

Looks very useable- although the added bits and bobs will show more of what you think you must have. Very clever thinking- it appears to have everything you might need. How long did it take you to make?

The microwave plaates were an excellent find- easy to clean and a good size.

And how long to decide it needed moreMoreMORE!? How heavy is it? Does it still move easily with all your added attractions?

Are the wheels the kind that roll along easily, or the kind where one stubborn one always wants to go in another direction?

Mine is nearly the same without wheels- a late 19th century commode we'd refinished and then just used for junk and it migrated back to my room as newer, nicer things came into our lives (we restore/repair antique furniture so we have waaay too much such stuff) Four drawers and a top- a narrow depth- which is good because my easel is HUGE. On top are my small go-bag flat box of pastels, my small 3-drawer usual suspect values and hues, a working-surface (clean folded-thick layers of paper towels upon which lie, in State, the colours and hues I've decided to use to start), the bristle brushes used to brush away offensive work, charcoal pencil and some odd woodless pastel pencils (so, narrow, pointy on one end, loooong sticks of hard colour- cheap, so not high chroma- if I use them, it's more for a tight spot feathering), and the remains of three boxes of Terry Ludwigs which I highly recommend to all the next time you win the lottery- holy carp they're great pastels!

The rest is various flat surfaces upon which things are stacked until I tire of the sight and so do something about it.

Usually close the door.
Thanks for your great response and sharing the hows and whys of your work-table. To answer your questions:
  • The trolley itself took me a weekend.
  • Weight naturally determines how much stuff am I carrying in the draws. But now with the other stuff attached to the trolley it is still movable without too much strain. If I need to move it over a long distance, of over a bump on the floor, it then becomes too heavy , so I then remove all the draws to make it managable.
  • After a week, the first 'more' thing was to create a way to carry my mahls sticks (in PVC piping). Then many months later came that mahl stick with a hook. Years later comes what I will be showing here soon.
  • Swivel wheels always take a bit more pull to get them to swing to one side. But the wheels are generally aligned to move across the easel as I work at different parts of a large painting (I love to do large paintings). I have no particular wheel that gives me trouble.

This is a great way to save a lot of money. I have a Craftsman tool cart, which was rather expensive. I'd have to look up what I paid, but it will probably last forever. The drawers are not as big/deep as yours, but I think the whole cart is wider. Yours seems to be more custom to your needs. Great job! :)

This is a great way to save a lot of money. I have a Craftsman tool cart, which was rather expensive. I'd have to look up what I paid, but it will probably last forever. The drawers are not as big/deep as yours, but I think the whole cart is wider. Yours seems to be more custom to your needs. Great job! :)
I've looked enviously at Craftsman work surfaces and receptacles before- still do even if I don't need them any longer. But they've got some quite nice contraptions for differing trades work that could enter the life of an artist with no problem at all.

Thank you @Artyczar , @JStarr , and @Bongo for your input.
As I promised earlier, I took photos of the extra additions to the trolley. I believe this is everything I will ever need...

I've added a flat screen for viewing reference images. There are two A4 size clipboards for notes and reminders.
Top drawer contains spare oil paint. Second drawer is for acrylic paints etc. Third, contains enamel modelling paint tins, sponges and other odd bits. Last drawer contains inks, pastels, and odd bits.

It just occured to me to replace contents of drawers 3&4 with oil paint mediums and solvents.
TROLLEY EXTRAS-1.jpg

The flat screen is on a relocating elbow, allowing me to maneuver the screen where I want it.
Power cord anchored to the trolley. I can switch appliances off/on at the trolley powerpoints instead from the wall.
Paper towel is directly available where I usually use it, at the palette.
Also, I drilled several holes along the side board to hold wet paintbrushes while working on the canvas.
TROLLEY EXTRAS-2.jpg

I often use a dispenser for plastic wrap or sealling oilpaint on palette overnight. And usea baking paper as a cheap transparent paper.
The mahl sticks are stored in pvc pipes.
The rear of screen holds a SDcard for storing reference images of all sorts.
At the base of the positioning arm is a USB socket for flash drive, containing all my notes and progress photos of current artwork.
TROLLEY EXTRAS-3.jpg

I got sick and tired of having brushes in jars collecting dust and grime. So I bought two sets of 3 drawers from Amazon. Put them in a wooden craddle and enough room to add a deep drawer at the bottom. These drawers are for paint brushes, knives, etc.
TROLLEY EXTRAS-4.jpg

My compete setup.
TROLLEY EXTRAS-5.jpg

Nice set up. I have been in art stores with less supplies than you have.
Yes. It is the curse of not painting for years; and now and again I buy a tube of paint as a token inspiration to start painting again. But as you already know, it mostly did not work out that way. So, the stock builds up.

Yeow! The Wonder from Down Under. all that's missing is a coffee cup holder. good job Mate.
Yeah, you're right. I wonder where I can put that cuppa without me accidently dipping my oiled brush in it :LOL:.

Back