Paint Tray Built Back Better

Bongo

I made some improvements (imo) on the 90degree paint tray. This design is cheaper and easier to make and holds more pigment.
trayaa.jpg

I bought a yardstick at Lowes for $1.08 and cut it to the length of my palette. I centered a wood screw on each end. So that the tray would make a snug fit in the plastic pipe used to store it. I sealed and gessoed the yardstick to make it last. Any wood slat 1 1/2" wide will work for a 1 1/2 diameter pipe..
Traybb.jpg

The tray could easily hold more paint and colors than I have here.
traycc.jpg

Fits into the pipe without squishing the paint.
traydd.jpg

and can be stored in the fridge without disturbing the Grey Poupon
trayrefrig.jpg

Last edited:
That’s pretty cool, no pun intended. Are there caps on both ends of the pipe? I only see one in your fridge but assume both ends are covered. Thanks for a great idea, Bongo - I will be trying this.

Thanks Donna, the cap and end plug are made from a standard prescription pill bottle. See the previous post - "Brush/Tray Holder" on how to make it - easy and almost free.

OK, I get it now. I've been using a glass tray and submerging it in water but it's kind of messy when I get it out. It seems that even if the edges of the paint piles touch the pipe that the contamination would be minimal.

I just wipe off the edge of the tray before you put it in the tube. But if you forget it's no big deal
Extra feature - the screws make it easy to pick up and move around without getting paint on your fingers.

Last edited:
Love this idea! I’m really new to oil paint, but I’ve been putting my whole palette in the freezer. 😝

The commercial version is called the palette garage. It's going on Amazon now for $33.

I bought one and like it -- is it worth $33? It comes with a small bottle of clove oil that definitely helps keep the paint fresh. The tray on the palette garage is an "L" shaped piece of acrylic which is superior to the yardstick. I leave T.white and ultramarine blue off so I have more room for other colors. I find it handy for plein air where you want something small, contained ready to go and portable.

No -- I saw a Plein Air artist use the commercial one on YouTube. I couldn't find one for sale, so I made my own version. Since then I found the inventor's site where he makes and sells them and bought one. They're now also available on Amazon.

It works as advertised, keeping your paints fresh, easy to store and transport.

If you use a lot of paint, or a lot of colors you might not get everything on the strip.
To make room I leave T.white, ultramarine blue, and Alizerian off and put those colors directly on the palette.

The other issue you might have is how to attach the strip to your palette and keep it from moving around. The clamps provided are pretty much useless for most situations. But there are various things you can do to make it work.

Reading the comments on Amazon - someone came up with a good idea to make it easy to clean -- cover the strip with blue painter's tape -

Back