Harris's Hawk WIP

musket

I'm actually posting this here as an illustration of some of the colors I made myself in acrylics with dry pigments from Kremer. These are the most accurate shots I've got of this piece far as the colors go.

After this I'll go back to the Kremer thread to let Trier know about this.

Except for the white, and the pale powder blue base coat on the beak, these were made from dry pigments-- brown burnt umber and dark brown burnt umber from Cyprus, burnt sienna from Monte Amiata in Tuscany, and French JTCLES yellow ochre.

harrisvise.jpg

harrisvise2.jpg

Thank you, Arty and sno.

You can see here how the bell is attached to the tarsus-- these are called bewits. Threaded in exactly the same way as real leather ones. The bell, which is painted wood, has not yet been gilded with silver leaf. Real Pakistani bells are like this, brass under silver plating.

Magnificent and beautiful!

I replied on the Kremer thread also.

What pigments did you mix to get that wonderful red?

Thanks

No mix, that's the Monte Amiata burnt sienna from Tuscany I mentioned in the Kremer thread. The mine shut down many moons ago. Like I said, it practically glows in the dark. It disperses beautifully. I bought 100 grams, tried it out and immediately ordered more-- the Kremer catalog stated that this was the end of the line, so get it while you can.

Thank you, ntl.

Wow! What a single pigment color.
Gotta get an order off tonite, if I can manage to stay up late enough.
Thanks

No mix, that's the Monte Amiata burnt sienna from Tuscany I mentioned in the Kremer thread. The mine shut down many moons ago. Like I said, it practically glows in the dark. It disperses beautifully. I bought 100 grams, tried it out and immediately ordered more-- the Kremer catalog stated that this was the end of the line, so get it while you can.

Thank you, ntl.
Hey musket -
I may be too late already.
Tried both the Kremer sites, one apparently in NYC, and the other foreign one that has the prices in Euros (but a wider selection).

There was 'Natural Sienna from Mt. Amiata', Tuscany, but no burnt sienna. There were umbers, raw and burnt and a wonderful red pigment that looks very close to what you used that was named 'Natural Cinnabar Monte Amiata Tuscany - 63y mercuric sulfide' with warning labels and @ $182 for 100grams. Outta my league.

I guess I will get the 2 dispersions (whats the difference between a acrylic dispersion and a acrylic medium?), and yellow oche, and whatever else I think I could afford.

Thanks

The burnt sienna is gone. No more left; the mine closed long ago. What they still have is a back stock of Monte Amiata raw sienna, which is also nice but not as exceptional.

Cinnabar is the natural form of vermilion and not at all the same-- and yep, it's highly toxic.

I don't know what they mean by an acrylic medium, but what you want is the dispersions.

Beautiful work! Shows a mastery of craft. A lot of merit in the effort and time in order to achieve a high level of expertise in any medium.

Back