Guess the Artist

Hermes2020

Can anyone guess who produced these two works? I have always admired his paintings.

A.jpg

B.jpg

I checked out a few of my guesses and struck out. These are beautiful! If no one guesses correctly will you give us a clue? Maybe a tiny hint? This is going to drive me nuts! :ROFLMAO:

I checked out a few of my guesses and struck out. These are beautiful! If no one guesses correctly will you give us a clue? Maybe a tiny hint? This is going to drive me nuts! :ROFLMAO:
Ha, OK. He was an American and better known for his abstracts, often with subtle greens and blues. That is why I found these so fascinating.

I keep looking up likely candidates and examining their sketching styles and coming up empty. I have a long list of who it isn't! Maybe another clue? Time period? I'm guessing the 1940's -60's but am probably way off.

I keep looking up likely candidates and examining their sketching styles and coming up empty. I have a long list of who it isn't! Maybe another clue? Time period? I'm guessing the 1940's -60's but am probably way off.
I will, for once in my life, be a nice guy and practically give it away. Here is a detail of one of his paintings:

20220627_185028.jpg

I found sketches like this one and ruled him out but I should have looked farther. It appears his sketching style changed over time. Thanks for this, Hermes. I came across many abstract artists I'd never heard of before so it was time well spent. Richard Diebenkorn's work is so varied and all of it is so inspirational!
Diebenkorn.jpg

Yes, Diebenkorn is inspirational to me as well. His colour use was brilliant in my opinion.

Last edited:
Diebenkorn was my first guess. I swear. I came late to the thread though. I've seen a whole show of his figurative work which is just as amazing as his abstracts and landscapes.

I think this has engendered a very good response. Should we do more of these artist identification challenges?

Yes, yes yes!!! I'll try to find something as soon as I have some time! (Time? What is that???) Feel free to do more. I love this kind of thing to test my knowledge or to learn new artists. :)

Back