Great TV Theme Songs.

musket

We must begin with this.

The Prisoner Theme

"I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!" Yeah well, not these days. We're all in the Village now.

I always loved this. Mike Post is a genius.

Hill Street Blues Theme

"Let's be careful out there."

Last edited:
What, Peter Gunn isn’t at the top of your list 😱 ?

i quite enjoyed the variety of music from the Netflix series Babylon Berlin, there‘s a good playlist for it on Spotify. This is sort of the theme for the first two series

I've been in Prisoner mode lately, but of course Peter Gunn is immortal.

So what did you think of Wilbur and Capri?

The Prisoner Theme / "I will not make any deals with you. I've resigned. I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered! My life is my own!" Yeah well, not these days. We're all in the Village now.

There's a song by the heavy-metal-group "Iron Maiden" named "The Prisoner" and its intro is the famous dialoque from the series: "We want information [...] I'm not a number! I'm a free man! - Hahahahaha!"

Wilbur was played by the great jazz guitarist Herb Ellis.

The poetry reading in the other Wilbur episode was one of the most hilarious scenes ever on TV.

My favorite theme from a Western-- too bad it's so short.

The Rifleman Theme

Hmmm. You Tube doesn't want to open and I don't know how to insert a clip...

Last edited:
Hmmm. You Tube doesn't want to open and I don't know how to insert a clip...
Go to the tool bar above the reply text, and click on the three dots with the down arrow
55713B2E-5FB0-4D48-B154-F6843EE4BB18.jpeg

click on those, it brings up a menu:

BE20DF6F-FE09-4E22-BD4F-EDF21851800E.jpeg

click on media, that brings up a prompt in which you can insert your link
1F62E7F2-1EDC-47C8-9DDC-68C6F65983BE.jpeg

hit return and you get this:

it‘s rather magic :)

Speaking of cowboy shows, I always liked the theme from Bonanza. But I don’t think Johnny Cash’s addition of lyrics improved it :)

OTOH, he did do the song for Johnny Yuma - The Rebel which I enjoyed. This link has the two different intros, plus the full song

I remember the intro words from The Rebel without even listening.

Johnny Yuma was a rebel
He roamed through the West
But Johnny Yuma the rebel
He wandered alone

Nick Adams, right? He was a Hollywood bad boy, from what I understand.

There are many great western themes... here's a medley by Guy Van Duser, played on a guitar I made for him in 1980. This was my idea. For the life of me I can't remember what the one between Sugarfoot and Wagon Train is, but it sure is pretty. High Noon is of course a movie theme, not TV, but the arrangement is great.

Meanwhile, I’m really getting into incidental rather than theme music; and for that Babylon Berlin is great, both for music recorded in the period (Weimar Germany) and for updated interpretations of the styles. Like Severija Janušauskaitė’s version of Gloomy Sunday:

added - a Hungarian song sung in Russian on a German TV show by a Lithuanian singer and listened to in Canada. I thinks that‘s kinda neat.

Last edited:
Very nice, Chris.

The theme from Peter Gunn has been covered by just about every electric guitarist in creation, but all the incidental music from the show is also great. Mancini and his boys knew what they were doing. This is Bob Bain on guitar. He was the top studio cat of the 50s and 60s with a credit list as long as your leg in movies and TV. The show was just the epitome of cool. John Williams--yes, the future Mr. Star Wars--on piano.

Up on the roof with Edie, oh yeah, at eleven I wanted to be Pete even more than I wanted to be Paladin. Get me to Mother's right now! Lola Albright is greatly under rated as a singer. No frills, no histrionics, just laid back cool.

Back