Gouache

Bartc

Unpredictable rainy weather had our group painting inside in a member's large studio. I created this from a reference photos. 9x12" gouache on multimedia paper. Fun!
apple basket gouache march 2024.jpg

Thanks, everybody.

One group member who is an instructor commented that it "looks just like watercolor," to which I responded that "That's because I don't have gouache down yet and inadvertently use it too much like watercolor!"

… paint like you have paint to spare. Like the color arrangements.
Yeah, Wayne. I'm going to have to make myself treat it like acrylic or oils with full thickness. I can't resist thinning it with water!

Nice job Bart! I have some of that stuff somewhere........

If you want to see what can be done with it.......

I watched this but for reason still can't paint with it this way :)

Glad you had fun with this one, because you did a great job here. Beautiful work with the basket, the handle, and of course the fruit. ❤️ All handled like you knew exactly what you were doing. Applause!

Be glad it rained - forced you into trying something you may not otherwise have attempted. ;)

Glad you had fun with this one, because you did a great job here. Beautiful work with the basket, the handle, and of course the fruit. ❤️ All handled like you knew exactly what you were doing. Applause!

Be glad it rained - forced you into trying something you may not otherwise have attempted. ;)
Thanks for the lovely compliment. Yes, I need to get back to just painting often everywhere.

This was done with no underlying sketch at all, just picked up the brush with paint and water. What I liked most about the experience was the feeling of the #4 pointed round brush working in my hand. I've been painting in pastel for several years and only doing very occasional watercolors, but I originally learned via Sumi-e brush work and for many years did acrylics. What it reminded me of was the delicious feel of a brush working well.

That alone was the "ahah" moment for me.

Nice job Bart! I have some of that stuff somewhere........

If you want to see what can be done with it.......

I watched this but for reason still can't paint with it this way :)

That's a very good lesson! Thanks for posting that, John.

You're getting better at gouache! I really like the vibe of this. :)

Have you been looking at painters who use gouache?

You're getting better at gouache! I really like the vibe of this. :)

Have you been looking at painters who use gouache?
Yes, thanks. But more just trying to undo watercolor habits of decades when using gouache.

Back