Getting back into art after Ian forced a break.

jmfletch

This is a lesson from an online course I am doing. It is part of a block on pen and ink but most of it was done in black watercolor. Ink was used fir adding texture and enhancing lines.

5113270E-60A1-45C5-9630-C60FD7133CB1.jpeg

That's a wonderful piece. Love the bent and broken pieces, esp the headlight rim.
And welcome back. I hope things have returned to somewhat normal for you and yours.

Awesome piece!
Ian must have been a very difficult thing to endure - hope all is well

Love this! Great tones and textures and I love the subject too. Black watercolour is very underrated!

Texture, texture, and more texture! ❤️ Gosh, I find this one beautiful. Even this limited palette shows us the rusty metal of this old Plymouth- I love it. The white grass is a lovely touch.

Glad you made it through Ian all right. My sister lives in central Florida and said it was a real white-knuckle night!

Joe, you did a great job showing the rusty, worn areas of this car! The combination of the black watercolor and the ink worked so well. All those details are a feast for the eyes!

Ntl - Thanks for the kind words. Things are some what normal but now we are watching Nicole.

Triduana - This was an ink exercise so was surprised at the amount of watercolor but it really worked well.

Terri - I think the white ink really makes the rest pop. Hope your sister is ready for Nicole. It was a tense night with Ian. We were in the heavy winds of the eye wall for 6 hours.

Joan - thought it was an odd combination but it really worked well.

CaliAnn, Enyaw, Marksmomagal, PaintBoss & jo - Thank you for taking time to comment and encourage.

Joe

Joe, this is just magnificent!!! Combination of the media worked well with this subject. So glad you came thru Ian all right.

Magnificent is right! Everything about this was worth the wait. I can see all your patience in this. Well done!

You did such nice work on this and I find myself admiring all the different textures you were able to describe. I hope you'll be able to do more!

Joe, I can only echo the others when I say how wonderful it is! For an old car, it has so such personality and life. This is really your best work, and amazing that it was an exercise. Perhaps there was less self-imposed pressure b/c it was an exercise. For myself, I find when I don't "try" to do something "good" I often have better results. We would all like to see more of these.

How long did this take and what is the size? Which paper and black watercolor did you use? This is really so good you should consider framing it.

BTW, we were on a cruise when Ian hit, and the itinerary had to be altered for safety reasons. The pax were all holding good thoughts for those potentially in harm's way. I am sorry that you had to deal with such a frightening experience.

Last edited:
Donna T - Thank you for the encouraging words.

Joy - Strongly agree with better results when there is no pressure. The paper is 140lb Strathmore Visual Journal 9x12in. Used Sakura Koi Lamp Back, Micron pens and POSCA markers for white grass. Am unsure of the time as I did initial graphite sketch and inked the outlines before Ian and did the watercolor and detail pen work after. Best guess is around 5-6 hours. With regards to Ian it was nerve wracking as the storm changed track the eye wall approached and we were in the eye wall with the strongest winds for over 6 hours. Appreciate the kind words.

Last edited:
Back