Flight

ZenDruid

Supporting Member
Some red flourishes that became a bird. Acrylic on 16x20 stretched canvas. C&C welcome.

1634586714395.jpeg

Very nice, clear, and has a bold palette. It's uplifting and that's what I like most about it. Well done. Successful! :)

I like the impression of looseness in your painting, which is something I wish I had in my paintings. The way you applied white over the previously painted blue to give a scumble effect is lovely:

1634586714395a.jpg

I can see you know how to handle the brush with confidence.

Last edited:
Thanks Hermes! I had a 3rd grade teacher who passed out a blank sheet of paper to each student, then she'd walk around the room and make a loose pencil squiggle, each different, on each paper. Then she told us to build that into a drawing, of anything. Brilliant. In this case, I had a blank blue canvas, took a brush of red paint and made broad loose random marks. A bird emerged. I almost never know where I'm going to end. ;)

Last edited:
Your bird made from red flourishes is more bird-like than many bird paintings I've seen! You had a wonderful teacher in 3rd grade and it's a good thing that lesson stuck!

Your bird made from red flourishes is more bird-like than many bird paintings I've seen! You had a wonderful teacher in 3rd grade and it's a good thing that lesson stuck!
Thank you Donna! She was pretty cool, on a sunny day she took us outside to make sun prints on some kind of light sensitive paper (cyanotype?) - on rain days she tried to teach us basic music theory with nothing more than a pitch pipe and how to sight read sheet music. Learning to draw was considered a communication skill. (yeah I'm that old, my first canvas was a cave wall) :) Just kidding, actually it was the wall behind the sofa in my parent's living room where I became a noted muralist with a box of crayons. 😄

Back