First Zebra Scene

CMorPaint

Here is my first zebra scene. I'm not sure about the BG.
20211101_173342.jpg

Last edited:
Cindy - Lovely work on the Zebras especially their stripes! I like the background, it goes into the distance nicely.

Cindy, the zebras look good .. the BG seems a grade below. I might suggest large color masses instead of individual trees and let them be eaten by the sky .. as in: don't paint to paint into.

The background could be simplified to put the focus on the zebras. Here is a quick sloppy edit of what I mean.Zebra edit.jpg

Deborah - Oh I dont think so! The 2 trees draw the eye to each one of them instead of keeping focus on the Zebras. Maybe do away with the 2 trees completely? The way you had it before, meant the background gradually disappeared into the distance, it doesnt do that now. If you want to change it, forget the trees and just have blue sky. As you know you need to decide if your Zebras are the focus or not, they were before, they arent now.

Deborah - thats ok, I dont mind if you disagree. Its your painting and you can have it any way you want too.

Of course it is! Im just on my phone and only saw your photo, sorry about that Deborah and Cindy.

Hello, I wanted to add another aspect to the discussion (which I find very interesting and helpful, because by sharing our different views we can learn from each other). These are all options and it's up to the artist to decide what to do in the end.
I also find that the background distracts a little from the beautiful zebras. Especially the funnel perspective pulls the eye away from the focal point, the zebras. So picking up on waynes or viviens or deborahs suggestions I would drastically simplify the background and even use only large shapes and washes and not the same level of detail as in the foreground. The two trees on the left and right could be a kind of middle ground, but I agree with Vivien that there is a danger of pulling the compositionapart, if they are too strong...
Wonderful painting and wonderful discussions. Thanks a lot!
Cheers
Tanja

Enyaw - Thank you for your input. I think you are right on the bg. Next one will be better, (I hope). Appreciate the help. :)

Cindy, the zebras look good .. the BG seems a grade below. I might suggest large color masses instead of individual trees and let them be eaten by the sky .. as in: don't paint to paint into.

The background could be simplified to put the focus on the zebras. Here is a quick sloppy edit of what I mean.View attachment 12194
Queen Bee - Thank you for the input on my zebras. I have struggled with the b/g on this one. I think Enyaw said how it should be, now I have to figure out how. (I have another zebra scene ready for painting, (masked out). Now to get it done...

Queen Bee and Vivien - I appreciate seeing you discuss the differences on the background on my painting. I was totally unsure on this one as I have not done one similar yet. Thank you.

Tanjaf - I really appreciate your comments. I am learning all about Watercolor painting and I will probably try to lighten this background so it becomes more Background and less of the picture. (My goal was to feature the zebras.) I agree with you regarding us all helping one another in learning what to do and what NOT to do. Thanks again.

WOW! Cindy, this is EXCELLENT! Those zebras are absolutely beautiful. ♥️ ♥️ ♥️

I see what you mean about feeling a little doubt about the BG, but I like it anyway.

If I nitpicked, it's probably how the trees fade out into such symmetry right down the center of the painting. I think that's the only little distraction to my eye, personally. I'd sparse the tress out and not line them out like an orchard so much and not do it down the center line. ...next time.

Back