First time trying oil pastels

Flowercat

I recently got some oil pastels and decied to try them out, last week.
Here is some off the stuff i made. It was hot and i was drawing this outside, so it was kind of hard to focus, but i still like the endresult.
No refrence used

_20220722_154956 (1).JPG
Critics and Advice would be amazing
_20220722_154931.JPG

So, these are your initial attempts to know the new medium, exactly like a child!
I remember something from my first art class at school, loooooong ago, at the age of 12. We had to buy a set of Talens oil pastels. The teacher asked us to make some geometrical shapes (triangles, rectangles, squares, circles) and fill them with oil pastels. In a first time it was about single colors. We had to use pieces of paper in order to mask the color limits. In a later step he told us perhaps about primary and secondary colors, and we had to try color mixing in bands or long rectangles, starting from a color and finishing with another one in regular progression. It's then that I learned that yellow + black give green!. I never forgot it since then.

I like the fact that he choose oil pastels to introduce us in the color universe: they can easily give a vibrant color and mix much easier that colored pencils. They are much easier to handle than watercolor or gouache and brushes. He went to gouache later in the year (or perhaps the year after, I can't remember half a century later 😝 )

I hope you had fun with them! :) Did you like how they handled, and how they laid down?

The way you sketched out so loosely is a perfect way to get the feel of them. If you like them, it's fun to try different papers, tinted vs white, and try layering.

What brand do you have?

I hope you had fun with them! :) Did you like how they handled, and how they laid down?

The way you sketched out so loosely is a perfect way to get the feel of them. If you like them, it's fun to try different papers, tinted vs white, and try layering.

What brand do you have?
I liked how they felt, the texture was unexpected.I already tried 2 papers one slightly tinted and smooth (the one i used here) and a white one wiht quite some texture.
I used pentel oilpastels.

Yes - oil pastels can give quite a bit of texture! I hope you keep playing with them and having fun with it. Lots of brands out there to try, too, some go on smoother than others. It's a fun medium. :)

Back