Fingers and Thumbs.

Maybenartist

My little finger went bent quite severely, it also got a bit twisted, which seemingly happened overnight and it won't straighten at all. It isn't a problem for most things, but it does somehow affect the way I paint and it seems to be getting a little painful now and again.

My thumbs are already weird and now my finger has decided to compete.

Has anyone else got similar issues with fingers or thumbs?

Last edited:
That may have happened holding the brush the same way during your Tom Sawyer phase. Is it painful if you force it to straighten?

I have a condition called Dupuytrens Contracture. It is a condition in which one or more fingers can become permanently bent in a flexed position. It usually begins as small, hard nodules just under the skin of the palm, then worsens over time until the fingers can no longer be straightened. Not saying you have that too but you might want to Google it.

I have regular old arthritis that gets worse through time. I can't open little sealed plastic bags, like the kind cheese or meat comes in. I have to transfer them into the ones that have a movable zipper, and those cost more money. I also have a tremor, and that due to neurological issues. I'm on meds for it that make it slightly less shaky, but it's still there.

I have regular old arthritis that gets worse through time. I can't open little sealed plastic bags, like the kind cheese or meat comes in. I have to transfer them into the ones that have a movable zipper, and those cost more money. I also have a tremor, and that due to neurological issues. I'm on meds for it that make it slightly less shaky, but it's still there.
Yes, arthritis can be a terrible thing to have, especially in the hands as it stops you from doing the simplest of things.

I have a condition called Dupuytrens Contracture. It is a condition in which one or more fingers can become permanently bent in a flexed position. It usually begins as small, hard nodules just under the skin of the palm, then worsens over time until the fingers can no longer be straightened. Not saying you have that too but you might want to Google it.
That is what I was thinking too Katie.

My mum has quite severe arthritis in her hands, they're quite bent now. Apart from the pain it can be really limiting especially as she lives alone. It's always scared me seeiing how she struggles sometimes. It's a horrible thing to have. My thumb has started aching alot lately, I'm hoping it's just overuse from holding a book or tablet.
I meant to say that I know sone of the pain is constantly squeezing paint tubes and tubes. 🙂

Last edited:
I suffer from "Essential Tremors" for the past 30 years. It forced a change in my painting technique. Also, I can work around it with 40mg of Propranolol, 30 to 60 minutes before I start to paint. That will suppress the tremors by about 90% for a couple of hours but it also can lower you BP.

I'm on Topamax for essential tremors. I'm pretty sure that's what they are. I also take BP meds. I take a lot of meds.

Back