Favorite Illustrations?

Time to reboot this thread. Here are some works by Maria or Duong Thuy Nguyen. She is a young illustrator who lives in Toronto.

View attachment 3317

View attachment 3318

View attachment 3319

View attachment 3320

View attachment 3321

View attachment 3323

View attachment 3324

View attachment 3325

It should be obvious why I would find these attractive with their strong emphasis upon the decorative use of flowers and other flora and the strong linear graphic aspect.
Stunning work

What, not a word in this thread yet about Hergé? :D

haddock.jpg

may i ask if you have a favorite illustrator for illustrators who illustrated the tales of egar allan poe?

or that genre or classics.

if there are works like Bernie Wrightson for other works or for Poe pensavol. anyway about the title of the post right now I would say Wrightson, for wonderful works like his Frenkestein

1606426722300.png

Leyendecker's figures always seem to have been chiseled out of stone with the hard straight brush-strokes. His work is clearly of the Art Deco aesthetic.

As for illustrations of Poe. The first that pops to mind is Harry Clark:

poe036a.jpg

6a00d8341ca70953ef00e5517642f98833-800wi.png

You might also look at Odilon Redon's early black 7 white works... the "noirs"... that include several homages to Poe:

redon.small.JPG

FkNRXTfu0qnYZugAWSp81xDSQVJCyK19.650.jpg

There's also the wood engraver, Fritz Eichenberg:

fritz-eichenberg_-tales-of-edgar-allan-poe-2.700.jpg

H4367-L219617941.700.jpg

There's also Dore and Beardsley.

Considering the impact of Poe on subsequent writers I'm surprised there are not more top-quality illustrations and paintings based upon his work.

Hermes, JohnEmmett, Stukesguild nice what you posted,

Stukesguild thank you very much for all the information the artists and the beautiful works you have posted
the engravings are also beautiful, I did not know any of these artists, except Odilon Redon, it is always amazing to see his works, but I did not know of the references to Poe.

Indeed, allore is as you say about the number of artists who have drawn inspiration from his works or illustrated his books.

a few months ago on the internet, istangram I saw some drawings of an edition of a lovercraft book, or a collection, I believe, of a French artist connected to Superani,
they were very beautiful, perhaps even as recent works there are more for other authors of the genre than on Poe then.
In any case with the artists you mentioned there are a lot of beautiful things about Poe to look at so thanks again

Back