Favorite Illustrations?

I wish I could find the images to post of the first illustrations that stunned me as a young boy (maybe 5) when I discovered that wonderful place called a Library.
Wyeth, I believe,and memories of Treasure Island showing 'Blind Pew', a Spanish Treasure Galleon and 'Marooned' pictures are still with me. There is also another artist who portrayed the Pirate world and Spanish Main in all its glory.

When I excitedly showed the illustrations to my parents, I got the slightly dismissive comment that they were just 'illustrations'. I felt slightly guilty for admiring them and sort of kept it to myself from then on. The family was well versed in art and most were professional musicians so I'm pretty sure they represented the attitude at that time.

The art posted here is truly marvelous, thanks for it all.

Given that I could often be confused, not being able to distinguish what falls within fine art "or" illustration.
I love many examples of both...

That's my argument... illustration is a form of art... produced for a specific purpose... that must be judged on an individual basis and not dismissed as inherently inferior to "fine art" (whatever that may be).

I wondered about works like the second work published by Stlukesguild...
I was thinking about works like these... maybe in... the Sistine chapel...

Of course that work is from the Sistine ceiling... Ezekial:

BeFunky_Ezekiel.sm.jpg

It's part of a painting acknowledged as one of the greatest works of art ever created... but it also functions as an illustration.

many illustrations I think is fine art...

I fully agree.

:)

That's my argument... illustration is a form of art... produced for a specific purpose... that must be judged on an individual basis and not dismissed as inherently inferior to "fine art" (whatever that may be).

Who exactly are you arguing with? I mean, sure, there are people that think this kind of stuff--that illustration is inferior to fine art, but why dismiss definitions? You don't know what fine art is? There are differences and one is not inferior to the other. Illustration can also be fine art in the context of fine art and fine art can be illustration, but they both still have context and meaning, and not because people are "snobs."

thanks stlukesguild, got it.

Who exactly are you arguing with? I mean, sure, there are people that think this kind of stuff--that illustration is inferior to fine art, but why dismiss definitions? You don't know what fine art is? There are differences and one is not inferior to the other. Illustration can also be fine art in the context of fine art and fine art can be illustration, but they both still have context and meaning, and not because people are "snobs."
[/CITAZIONE]

Artycczar

no, it wasn't a quarrelsome comment.

it was an answer that helped me understand as I love many things classified between the two genres, (which sometimes I can't distinguish)

maybe I think there would be no need to consider something as poor art, and rich art,

and this was what stlukesguild also thinks,

but since I often hear terms,
as it is only a comic, it is an illustration,
his words and examples speak of something I've been wondering for years.

xie-kitchin,
what wonderful works,
I didn't know Beardsley (and if I had seen something I didn't associate it, sometimes it happens that you see something in a context but I don't associate it with the artist), I didn't know his work, I didn't know his story that I looked for now ,
everything he created in such a short time is incredible.
thanks for the picture.

Artycczar
no, it wasn't a quarrelsome comment...

Hi Joe, I apologize. I wasn't referring to any one (or you) specifically really. I meant collectively or hypothetically, like the masses. I'm pretty sure I've read somewhere else St. Luke mentioning that the differentiation between fine and illustration was only a snobbish or elitist concept, so I'm more or less challenging him, not you.

Artyczar, ok, no problem, you had nothing to apologize for.
ah, I wanted to thank you for the Travis Millard link, and for talking about it .

before I was seeing the works on the site and they are beautiful. it's a very nice style.
the colored works, even those with few colors I particularly like, they are all incredible but I also like the drawings.

Arty... I'll tackle this issue by way of analogy. Within the realm of music we have certain works defined as "classical music". The term makes sense when differentiating music by composers like Beethoven, Mozart, and Mahler from Miles Davis, Muddy Waters, Merle Haggard, and the Beatles. But "classical music" is a term used for music that ranges from medieval chant to contemporary musique concrete:

Musique Concrete

Classical music includes medieval chant, motets, opera, string quartets and other forms of chamber music, cantatas, dance suites, ballets, symphonies, tone poems, nocturnes, concertos, lieder, mélodie, chanson, songs, on through conceptual music such as John Cage's 4:33 (4 minutes and 33 seconds of silence), Xenakis soundscapes:

Xenakis: Metastasis

... and Minimalism by composers like Philip Glass:

Philip Glass: Freezing

The differences between various forms or genre of "classical music" is often far greater than the differences between certain forms or genre of "classical music" and certain works of "popular music". Personally, I don't see an incredible difference between this:

Reynaldo Hahn: A Chloris

... and these:

Somewhere Over the Rainbow

The Beatles: Yesterday

In other words, we can say that Jazz or BLuegrass are musical styles... but not Classical Music. It is a terms used to defines a broad range of forms and styles of music that are deemed as being the musical equivalent of "serious" "Fine" or "High Art". But Somewhere Over the Rainbow and Yesterday don't qualify as the musical equivalent of "fine art"? Why?

Historically, there was a period of music known as the "classical era" which included composers such as Mozart and Haydn and a music that was "classically" structured clearly and simply in comparison to music of the Baroque era which was far more complex and virtuosic. However, the term was revived in the late 19th century as a means of differentiating "serious" music from what was deemed as the frivolous and "popular" music of dance halls, the cabaret, the operettas, the ballets, waltzes... and later Jazz, Blues, Bluegrass, Rock, etc... The term was intended as inferring a certain elitism or inherent superiority.

The same applies to the visual arts. The term "Art" or "Fine Art" embraces a wide range of styles and genre or intentions. Let's look at some examples:

monaco-monte-carlo-1897.615.jpg

There is no dispute that this was a work of commercial art... a poster. But then... so is this:

artwork-movie-poster.med.600.jpg

Yet no one would dismiss Toulouse-Lautrec as a mere illustrator as they might so with Alphonse Mucha. Perhaps no one here would think to dismiss illustration or other "populist" uses of art as being inherently inferior... but some do. One of our members here mentioned having his/her work dismissed in art school as "illustrative". I had the same experience. "Illustrative", "Narrative", "Literary", "Craft" were all used as insults. They have been employed in the same way by influential art critics over the last century. Clement Greenberg famously dismissed the paintings of Edward Hopper as not even worthy of being called works or art or paintings but rather some debased branch of literature.

R. Crumb was at an artist's talk with Robert Hughes at which he expressed dismay over why Andy Warhol's work seels for so much while his (Crumb's) sells for far less... and yet he is as good or better as a draftsman. Crumb was likely being tongue-in-cheek, but it draws attention to the fact that much of Pop Art... certainly Warhol and Lichtenstein... offer nothing incredibly different from popular art forms (posters, comics, etc...) except for a change in context.

BLAM04.gif

This is just one of many examples of a Roy Lichtenstein painting based upon an image taken from popular comics. Lichtenstein was careful to avoid borrowing (stealing?) from Disney, Marvel, DC or other companies with deep pockets and the ability to legally defend their work. Lichtenstein enlarged the images, made a few small changes, and showed the resulting work within the context of the "fine art gallery". His work is thus deemed "fine art" and sells for millions and the original is merely an illustration... and many of the artists of these works died broke.

I agree that we can differentiate illustration from other art forms. "Painting", "Sculpture", "Book Arts", "Cermaics", "Decorative Art", "Erotica", "Murals", etc... are all useful terms that define the purpose or media of a given work of art but make no suggestion as to aesthetic superiority. But "Fine Art"?

I question the dichotomy of Illustration, the Applied Arts, or Popular Art vs "Fine Art" or "High Art". It seems to me that works of art of any artistic genre or purpose may achieve works of the highest level.

Last edited:
Artyczar, ok, no problem, you had nothing to apologize for.
ah, I wanted to thank you for the Travis Millard link, and for talking about it .

before I was seeing the works on the site and they are beautiful. it's a very nice style.
the colored works, even those with few colors I particularly like, they are all incredible but I also like the drawings.

Yes, I really like Travis's work, and I really like the John McNair pieces that St. Luke just posted too.

I agree that we can differentiate illustration from other art forms. "Painting", "Sculpture", "Book Arts", "Cermaics", "Decorative Art", "Erotica", "Murals", etc... are all useful terms that define the purpose or media of a given work of art but make no suggestion as to aesthetic superiority. But "Fine Art"?

I question the dichotomy of Illustration, the Applied Arts, or Popular Art vs "Fine Art" or "High Art". It seems to me that works of art of any artistic genre or purpose may achieve works of the highest level.

Instead of questioning a dichotomy that may have existed for certain, specific snobs art critics, why not explore definition and differences just as you make your comparisons in art and music, which are just apples and oranges (IMO) if we are going to talk about genre. There's more than one way to define something tangible as art. There is style (one type of definition), and there is purpose (another type of definition). A work of art can have multiple styles. It can have multiple purposes--this is why nothing is "better" than the other. You can make an oil painting on canvas, hang it at the Gagosian gallery, sell it for a million bucks, then use a scan of that painting for a children's book. Viola. Multi-purpose. Fine art/illustration. That painting may have been used for the children's book because the style was illustrative, or not. It doesn't matter.

You can make a pen and ink drawing, or a watercolor...you can be Henry Darger, say. His paintings were illustrating his story. That's what he meant them for. That was their purpose. But they hang as fine art at the Folk Art Museum in New York and are in many prominent collections. They are consider high art, folk art, art brut, lowbrow, you name it. They were originally illustrations, but ART all the same.

Purpose. Style. Context.

This is my point, and perhaps we are on the same page... ;)

Edmund Dulac

Edmund Dulac was a French-born naturalized British artist/illustrator best known for his lavish illustrations for books. Dulac was born in Toulouse, France in 1882. He studied law but later turned to the study of art at the École des Beaux-Arts. In 1904 he moved to Britain and in 1905 received his first commission to illustrate the novels of the Brontë Sisters. Dulac rapidly churned out lavish color illustrations for books which included: The Little Mermaid, The Snow Queen, The Nightingale, Sleeping Beauty, The Princess and the Pea, The Arabian Nights, The Rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam, Stories from Hans Christian Andersen; The Bells and Other Poems by Edgar Allan Poe, Shakespeare's Tempest, Nathaniel Hawthorne's Tanglewood Tales, etc...
Following WWI there was less demand for deluxe illustrated books and Dulac turned his attention to illustrations for magazines including: The American Weekly, Hearst, Pall Mall, Country Life, and Hearst. Dulac
continued to produce books whenever the opportunity arose for the rest of his life, although these projects were less frequent and less lavish than during the "Golden Age". Halfway through his final book commission, Milton's Comus, Dulac died of a heart attack on 25 May 1953 in London.

Dulac's illustrations are lush... and often brilliantly colored using oils and watercolors. They contain elements suggestive of classic Persian book illuminations, Russian decorative lacquer paintings, and certainly influences from Arthur Rackham.

1d863cae85238de550076e26f49ac355.jpg

5a3e2cd94214b27ba484bb4a8b05763e.jpg

25ed13aa37ba20b7a4b89a1988739ab8.jpg

PR-Dulac 34(1).jpg

e8f69f29be85ee526c8525c03dc0fd24.jpg

32626.jpg

c90131c4552868c14ca84ca4d77f5e7e.jpg

cr-EdmundDulac-003-ThePrincessBadoura.jpg

dulac.jpg

dulac_beauty_destinyAHigherDestinyB.jpg

continued...

Last edited:
Oh yeah!
I remember seeing some of these now, and I am really glad you found them and provided the name of Dulac for me to look up.
Thanks

Anyone who admires the work of Edmund Dulac should also look at the illustrations of Warwick Goble. Gobel was born in London in 1862 and began contributing illustrations to various periodicals during the 1890s. Goble became resident gift book illustrator for MacMillan and produced illustrations for Green Willow, and Other Japanese Fairy Tales, The Complete Poetical Works of Geoffrey Chaucer, Stories from the Pentamerone, Folk Tales of Bengal, The Fairy Book, and The Book of Fairy Poetry becoming (along with Dulac and Rackham) one of the leading figures of the "golden age" of illustration. After WWI demand for luxurious illustrated books waned and Goble gradually abandoned illustration... although he did illustrate Treasure Island and Kidnapped for MacMillan in New York. He spent his later years pursuing sculling, cycling, and traveling.

Goble's work has many similarities with both Rackham and Dulac. Like Dulac, his work shows the influence of "exotic" sources such as Persian/Islamic illuminated manuscripts and Indian/Mughal paintings.

1a1f297250f9t.jpg

5-Warwick-Goble-Falk-Tales-of-Bengal-04.jpg

15b322b6723856a796db3201239e7b59.650.jpg

27faladiosadellagogoble.jpg

48470b4cf6291d9791aadffd5308d9f9 (1).jpg

66810709_2604937202872093_87160575951372288_n.jpg

4206459181_5231b0b658_o.jpg

damayanti by Warwick Goble.jpg

Falk Tales of Bengal (7) by Warwick Goble .jpg

Back