Fabric Study

Sue

I'm going back to basics and working on tone which I've always struggled with 'cos I tend not to push the darks enough. I've always had a fascination with how fabric is handled in art so decided to use that as a 'theme' These 3 are charcoal on A3 cartridge paper and all done from life -1. towel hanging from hook, 2. detail of towel, 3. knotted napkin - this one done in reverse by erasing from charcoal ground. I can see lots to improve on but feeling fairly happy that I actually managed to get something done and learnt a fair bit.

drape tone.jpg

drape detail.jpg

knot tone.jpg

Lovely studies on your fabric theme. Great work with the tone, and wonderful observation of the folds. The last one is really interesting - love the strong creases, and how you've found the shapes.

Very nice work! I think it's fun to erase charcoal to create an image.

Ayin, snoball, Wayne, Triss and Donna - thanks very much for your lovely comments

Great job! I find fabric challenging, as well. You're to be commended for doing the sketches, as well as experimenting with adding/subtracting methods. (y)

My next challenge looking at how the stripes move and show folds etc. Various grades of pencil in A4 sketchbook. I tried to build up the depth of tone gradually but lack the patience needed with pencil and had to stop when I started getting shiny areas where I had pressed too hard. Certainly parts that could be improved but again good learning exercise,

stripes pencil.jpg

Great job! Instead of pressing harder in some areas, have you tried a variety of hard and soft pencils?

Thanks Ayin, Yes I used HB, 2B, 4B, 6B and 8B - my head tells me to go slowly and not press hard but my impatience usually wins unfortunately :eek:

beautiful work too.
yes, I wanted to learn how to use a lot more pencils, grades, combine them,
use valuable information received to learn shading and not leave my drawings too light, but it is something very difficult.

Back