Experimenting with smaller works, all A5, acrylics

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
How do I while away 2 hours on a very hot day, without going outside? A few more than a few mini abstract acrylics. Very much in the AbEx mould. No editing. No preplanning, except choice of colours, and the tools to be used. Max time, 5 minutes per piece.
1000003117-02.jpeg
1000003123-01.jpeg
1000003124-01.jpeg
1000003125-01.jpeg

I love the wonderful textures, your choice of colours, and the way the colours interact. If it isn't asking too much, I would appreciate some background on your technique.

I love the wonderful textures, your choice of colours, and the way the colours interact. If it isn't asking too much, I would appreciate some background on your technique.
Not a problem, should be easy. Except it was rather a random process. I chose a stiff, round brush. A 'printing' one I think, randomly chosen from a hardly used box of brushes. Because I like to experiment, and can think quite laterally, I had a process. I chose the colours. Decided on 3 paint mixtures- fluid, normal-ish and quite thick. Then I just painted quickly until my brain said stop. 😁 And I moved to the next sheet. I did about 20 in all.

Not a problem, should be easy. Except it was rather a random process. I chose a stiff, round brush. A 'printing' one I think, randomly chosen from a hardly used box of brushes. Because I like to experiment, and can think quite laterally, I had a process. I chose the colours. Decided on 3 paint mixtures- fluid, normal-ish and quite thick. Then I just painted quickly until my brain said stop. 😁 And I moved to the next sheet. I did about 20 in all.
Thank you for the details of your technique. I should try it as well some time; perhaps it will help me break put of my usual control freak mode.

Thank you for the details of your technique. I should try it as well some time; perhaps it will help me break put of my usual control freak mode.
I am a bit of a control when I'm 'doing something important'. Create totally different works when I'm just playing. Need to mix both methods, somehow!

Terrific set, Jennie! Beautiful shapes, textures and colors. I really love the first one. The last one is also intriguing.

Wonderful job, and a good exercise for the brain. Inspiring work!

Terrific set, Jennie! Beautiful shapes, textures and colors. I really love the first one. The last one is also intriguing.

Wonderful job, and a good exercise for the brain. Inspiring work!
Thanks Terri. Wasn't sure about the last few, that look like a set. I did a set of A4 last night. They used a printing process.

The last few are my favorites. Great how these turned out Jennie. Wonderful experiment! Keep em coming! ♥️
Thanks Ayin, I was conflicted about sharing them. No one else I've shared them with had positive comments.

The first one is my favourite.

My 'comfort zone' is close to you 'talented bods' working out of yours.
ie: I use my fingers with a few tubes of paint that have something left inside and leading with a 'random' swoosh of acrylic.........I make something up out of the mess.

Need to mix both methods, somehow!
..did not think much as they reminded me of liquid acrylics which reminds me of dropping cans of paint in front of a big plane exhaust. However, I think the method you used here could be very useful and energizing inside a thought out concept. You are correct to experiment as most things are discovered by accidentals. Enjoy yourself.

The first one is my favourite.

My 'comfort zone' is close to you 'talented bods' working out of yours.
ie: I use my fingers with a few tubes of paint that have something left inside and leading with a 'random' swoosh of acrylic.........I make something up out of the mess.
That sounds like something I'd do 😊 I get a lot of ideas from playing around.

Thanks Ayin, I was conflicted about sharing them. No one else I've shared them with had positive comments.
I have learned, the hard way, to keep some pictures because ... I like them, when others haven't.
Previously, I've recycled some because my wife and son kinda went ...'errr...really?'
Totally regret painting over them, now.

So...if I like it, I now keep it.

Here are two I regret painting over...

BE791B4A-4A8A-4D49-BE6A-8049FC8E74BF.jpeg

Back