Experiment, indian ink ... fail!

JennieJo

Experimentalist
Contributing Member
N3. Following processes using washes of inks, acrylics, watercolour. This was bright oil pastel face, with soft watercolour wash, before I covered it with Indian Ink and when that was pretty dry ... I washed it off.

Just as well I have a filing cabinet full of WIPS!

There are more experiments. Will post as they undergo their metamorphosis.
IMG_20230225_105718_1-01.jpeg

N3. Following processes using washes of inks, acrylics, watercolour. This was bright oil pastel face, with soft watercolour wash, before I covered it with Indian Ink and when that was pretty dry ... I washed it off.

Just as well I have a filing cabinet full of WIPS!

There are more experiments. Will post as they undergo their metamorphosis. View attachment 28715
I would have been terrifying if it was a more important work. Would hate anyone to make assumptions from this one!

I like it!
I've used oil pastel blender sticks as a resist.
I'm thinking about doing another gouache resist, which is somewhat similar to the process that you describe. The one I posted generated a little interest, so I've been trying to remember all the steps. Maybe I'll swap cheapo poster paint for expensive gouache this time around.
There are more experiments. Will post as they undergo their metamorphosis.
Looking forward to that!

Gouache is op my list. Poster paint sounds interesting. I think I have some glow in the dark left over from a kids painting day! That would be an experiment.

I like how this turned out. It has a certain charm and style, like Outsider art. And I love that kind of art. ❤️

I agree with CaliAnn! You may not have gotten what you thought you would, but what's here is terrific. A mysterious mask of a face! Your work is always interesting, Jennie!

I see the face as almost secondary; as supporting elements. The longer I look, the more of a tale I see. It reminds me somewhat of Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" epic.

There are two main characters here, both in cloaks. The one to the left is in armor, with maybe a crown. His cloak is gold and purple. He is looking away from the people (in the background to the right). The other character, dressed in a gold cloak, is trying to get the first character to not give up on the people. He is pointing back toward them. So far, his arguments are falling on deaf ears. "I am tired of trying to prove myself to them. I will not rule them until they prove themselves to me. The other elements in the picture are pieces of the rest of the story.

--Rich

I like how this turned out. It has a certain charm and style, like Outsider art. And I love that kind of art. ❤️
I like outsider art too, that's where I found my first tribe. Have done lot of it, not for a while though.

Th
I see the face as almost secondary; as supporting elements. The longer I look, the more of a tale I see. It reminds me somewhat of Terry Goodkind's "The Sword of Truth" epic.

There are two main characters here, both in cloaks. The one to the left is in armor, with maybe a crown. His cloak is gold and purple. He is looking away from the people (in the background to the right). The other character, dressed in a gold cloak, is trying to get the first character to not give up on the people. He is pointing back toward them. So far, his arguments are falling on deaf ears. "I am tired of trying to prove myself to them. I will not rule them until they prove themselves to me. The other elements in the picture are pieces of the rest of the story.

--Rich
Thanks Rich. I tried finding a story in there, and blocking out the face. Your idea is so creative, I'll have to have another look. And, block out what I know was there!

I agree with CaliAnn! You may not have gotten what you thought you would, but what's here is terrific. A mysterious mask of a face! Your work is always interesting, Jennie!
Thanks Terri. It has caused my mind to do a bit of a tail spin!

For any West Aussies out there ... Robert, husband, says it reminds him of an album cover by Steve Tallis and the Zombi Party, with song about Bayswater, Central Ave.

Robert has just Google remembered he backed Bob Dylan, Van Morrison, Mick Jagger, BB King.

We found the cover. Some similarities. They are both dark. And there are eyes.

Last edited:
Jennie, this is hardly a failure! The colors and composition are very interesting.

Jennie, this is hardly a failure! The colors and composition are very interesting.
Thanks Joy. I still can't enjoy it, but I have been using the technique on a lot of other WIPs.

Back