Exercise in light and value

I work mostly in ink and all of your submissions are great—but ink has a special fondness for me and I like your contouring.

This was a lesson on finding forms to capture the subject for a sketch. Overall took about an hour using multiple grades of graphite in 9x12 inch sketch pad.

Joe
62901F61-DFFA-49D4-A992-50DF8FEAB437.jpeg

Sorry for missing these, Joe - I didn't realise you were updating with your new exercises. Terrific stuff! Love the ink linework on the pepper, no idea how you found the patience for that amazing woodgrain texture, and the skull is my favourite for the lovely variety of the shading. Looks like you're really enjoying the course & getting a lot out of it.

Joe, nice drawing of skull,
and the drawing on the textures is fantastic, great job, I find the textures very difficult, you did a perfect job

Sorry for missing these, Joe - I didn't realise you were updating with your new exercises. Terrific stuff! Love the ink linework on the pepper, no idea how you found the patience for that amazing woodgrain texture, and the skull is my favourite for the lovely variety of the shading. Looks like you're really enjoying the course & getting a lot out of it.
Thanks. Encouragement is very much appreciate. The skull was fun as it was simply finding the form with light pencil than doing the contour line,I After that the hatching was focused on defining the planes.

Joe, nice drawing of skull,
and the drawing on the textures is fantastic, great job, I find the textures very difficult, you did a perfect job
The wood texture is really simple as it is all vertical lines and trying to follow the grain patterns. Very repetitive and almost meditative.😎

joe, thank you very much. nice feeling you describe.
years ago i tried to follow this site, nice site, i stopped at the textures part.
a little bit for texeture a little bit because sometimes it attracts me to learn that way (style, subjects, etc.), other times I wish I could learn to draw differently.

Joe, beautiful work on the skull (never thought I would say that). The wood grain is rendered so well. Yay!

Back