Euan Uglow

I like the one of the house @ 1:17. What a great composition.

I love his work! The big blocks of background color and how he controlled edges really interests me.

I first came upon Uglow back in art school. I had a Scottish painting professor who introduced us to a lot of British artists. I’ve always been rather ambivalent with regard to his work. I think in some way this may be due to the very element you admire… his precise measurements… especially when applied to the human figure. While I like such precision when applied to architectural settings and geometric patterns I’ve always preferred the figure and other natural elements such as flowers to be more organic… even when I do use measurements to establish proportions. I usually think of the harder geometric elements as acting as a foil to the organic.

I first came upon Uglow back in art school. I had a Scottish painting professor who introduced us to a lot of British artists. I’ve always been rather ambivalent with regard to his work. I think in some way this may be due to the very element you admire… his precise measurements… especially when applied to the human figure. While I like such precision when applied to architectural settings and geometric patterns I’ve always preferred the figure and other natural elements such as flowers to be more organic… even when I do use measurements to establish proportions. I usually think of the harder geometric elements as acting as a foil to the organic.
Thank you for your insightful comments; it is so useful to hear the perspective of a professional artist, since I never received formal training in any of the arts. I have one big problem: my standpoint on issues is volatile and I often empathize with both sides in a debate. The result is that I don't seem to have well-defined taste in art or music. I love Bach as much as Takemitsu and love Vermeer as much as Tapies. Perhaps my scientific training has conditioned me to be fluid, since in science one starts out with the assumption that one is wrong and ideally one has no loyalty to any hypothesis. So, one is able to switch sides in milliseconds when new evidence comes forth. It does seem, though, when it comes to producing my own art-related stuff that there must be some kind of inherent personality trait that predominates. I have so often thought that I should become more spontaneous, but I when I try to break out of my control freak mode, I fail. I value your opinion, so perhaps you could give me some pointers to become looser. Or perhaps I should just accept that I have my "style" and grin and bear it!

“First thing in the morning…I just stick to painting away from me and I just gaze at it stupidly wondering what I the hell I am going to do.”
I feeeeeeeel that!
I gaze stupidly at some painting for years!i
Thank you for showing me this video. I was not aware of this artist. It sure is nice to find my tribe. I relate to this man and his ways. Not all the measuring ( good tip). Plus I want a few creature comforts!! Lol

Glad you enjoyed the video. I like your "finding my tribe" expression. It's so great when one comes across an artist or author and what they express just feels so right.

I have one big problem: my standpoint on issues is volatile and I often empathize with both sides in a debate. The result is that I don't seem to have well-defined taste in art or music. I love Bach as much as Takemitsu and love Vermeer as much as Tapies. Perhaps my scientific training has conditioned me to be fluid, since in science one starts out with the assumption that one is wrong and ideally one has no loyalty to any hypothesis. So, one is able to switch sides in milliseconds when new evidence comes forth. It does seem, though, when it comes to producing my own art-related stuff that there must be some kind of inherent personality trait that predominates. I have so often thought that I should become more spontaneous, but I when I try to break out of my control freak mode, I fail. I value your opinion, so perhaps you could give me some pointers to become looser. Or perhaps I should just accept that I have my "style" and grin and bear it!

I suspect that what you describe is the reality for many artists. We love Art... painting, sculpture, film, music, literature... and the broad spectrum of Art that can be appreciated. Like yourself, I love Bach and Mozart... but also Stravinsky, Bartok, Miles Davis, Thelonius Monk, The Rolling Stones, and the Louvin Brothers. I love Botticelli, Rubens, and Degas... but also Medieval art, Japanese prints and paintings, Islamic Art, Matisse, Max Beckmann, Paul Klee, Francis Bacon, Joseph Cornell, Richard Diebenkorn, and a vast array of illustrators and "low brow" artists. I'm probably a bit more focused when it comes to the visual arts than I am with regard to music and literature simply looking for Art to feed my own work... but then again, I've drawn inspiration from not only "classical" Western figurative artists... but also from Japanese prints, Islamic design, the surface of abstract paintings, collage and assemblage, architecture and design, posters, comic books, etc...

Over the years I came to accept that my artistic "style" is not something that resulted from a focused preference or point of view let alone an artistic theory... but rather it simply resulted from all of my experiences and all the works of Art that I appreciate... and quite likely also all the works of Art I dislike. I is something like my signature or handwriting and will remain visible whether I'm drawing the human figure, a still life, or landscape... or working on a collage. I remember years ago starting the latest painting with great enthusiasm until I reached a point where I thought, "Oh crap! That looks like something I would do... again!" I wanted my art to look like the work of someone else... someone I admire. It was only after some time that I came to realize that a unique style or visual signature is something artists all strive for... something that makes Vermeer or Tapies immediately recognizable and stand out.

Thank you for your response. I know exactly what you mean about producing the same thing over and over. It used to irritate me that I could not produce anything original, but I have now made peace with the situation and just try to have fun. As Newton said:

"I do not know what I may appear to the world, but to myself I seem to have been only like a boy playing on the seashore, and diverting myself in now and then finding a smoother pebble or a prettier shell than ordinary, whilst the great ocean of truth lay all undiscovered before me."

For years I wanted my work to at least show some of my influences, and maybe it did. If so, I think I was unaware of it. I'm pretty unaware of my own art. After a while, I couldn't make my art look like anything; it just turned out the way it did, and there was nothing I could do about it. I still haven't accepted that fully, but I know I have to. I know it has a certain "look" and I don't always like it. It's uncontrollable, partly because of my lack of skill and partly because of gut direction. It's instinct usually. I do know I don't want to do the same thing over and over, so there's that. I want to evolve and change--something I know galleries (in general) hate. Maybe that's self-sabotage. I'm not sure, but I keep doing it. The only thing that's consistent is my hand, but at least I do things in a series.

I didn't foresee all these interesting reactions to my post on Uglow! I guess that is an indicator of a worthwhile contribution, which makes me happy. :D

Back