Essay: Primary Sources. A Natural History of the Artist's Palette

I was most interested in the section on Blue. Unfortunately YInMn Blue wasn't included. I remember the delight at reading about it some 10 years ago and then realizing that I would never be able to afford even a smidgen of this brilliant blue paint.

A set with only blues, for 150 bucks, no thanks!
I knew of the YlMn blue, but beside its interesting properties, I don't really care for it. It's expensive, and it does not really add something to the available range of blues.
I would argue that none has a real need for more than say three, at the most four real blues in his/her palette, and you can get away with less.

When you see the price of one tube of oil YinMn, the set doesn't seem that expensive... 😅

Until it is more commercially available that YinMn is more of a collector's novelty but come on, how many times do we see brand new pigments? They normally take them away (manganese? quinacridone gold?) I think is exciting even if I never get to try it. Yes, you don't "need" more than 1 blue, 1 red, 1 yellow, etc... it doesn't mean someone else wouldn't want to have them.

Last edited:
I am not talking about someone else. If someone wants to buy and use that paint, more power to them.
I am just giving my two cents about my take of such a product., and if I would be prepared to dish out such cash for one tube of blue paint.

I read somewhere that is is unlikely to get much cheaper because of the high price of the ingredients, Yttrium, and Indium (don't remember which was the priciest).
I do admit it has very interesting properties, also the interesting fact that it's a new blue pigment, quite a rare occurrence.

Btw, I don't agree with your statement that you don't 'need' more than one blue, red, etc. This wasn't what I said, and there are, as you no doubt know very well, very good and practical reasons to have several versions of such colors.
Just not as many as in that ridiculous, expensive set of blues for instance.

I am not talking about someone else. If someone wants to buy and use that paint, more power to them.
I am just giving my two cents about my take of such a product., and if I would be prepared to dish out such cash for one tube of blue paint.

I read somewhere that is is unlikely to get much cheaper because of the high price of the ingredients, Yttrium, and Indium (don't remember which was the priciest).
I do admit it has very interesting properties, also the interesting fact that it's a new blue pigment, quite a rare occurrence.

Btw, I don't agree with your statement that you don't 'need' more than one blue, red, etc. This wasn't what I said, and there are, as you no doubt know very well, very good and practical reasons to have several versions of such colors.
Just not as many as in that ridiculous, expensive set of blues for instance.

I think we are mostly in agreement. The tone to me read a bit dismissive but that can happen on the internet without any intention.

The set? I think is ridiculously fun and a curious thing I hadn't seen before, I wasn't proposing anyone should buy it but if someone does I myself would be jealous and would wanted them to be my friend (perhaps they'd let me try it?). I also posted it because if someone really wanted to try YinMn blue, you can get the full pan by itself at Kremer, and while expensive at 44 euros is probably one of the only ways to do so at the moment.

I also think we generally agree.
Actually even on the tone of my post, I can see that it does sound dismissive, but not aimed at you! I really enjoyed this thread and it is a very interesting article you linked.
I do my best not to jump on the new cool art supply, whatever it is. So I am trying to cultivate a healthy skepsis toward expensive temptations...:sneaky:
Hmmm, on the other hand, 44 euro would not break the bank....(nooooo:ROFLMAO:)

Speak of the devil! I just got an email from Jackson's Art about a limited edition Shmincke Mussini Oil tube of YInMn 15ml https://www.jacksonsart.com/schmincke-mussini-oil-paint-15ml-yinmn-blue-limited-edition for €31

Screen Shot 2021-01-22 at 7.44.13 PM.png

Back