End of Winter

Hostajunkie

Hello all. I haven’t done much art-related in many months and I needed to do something to use up some of my supplies clutter. It’s my version of (hopeful) end of winter, based loosely on a photo. Acrylics on paper, 16x20 (iirc), to fit a frame that I picked up from the curb while walking one day. :)
5913AA64-6121-420C-A102-268EC7D96890.jpeg

Lovely color. The frame does nothing for it but that might just be me and the fact I don't like stained wood frames.

You made great use of that free frame! What a beautiful painting and I hope winter is on its way out too.

Beautiful work, Hostajunkie! ❤️ I love your deep, dark blues. Great job on the snow, too. I think the free frame suddenly has a new life!

Thank you all so much for the kind replies! It's scary to just put something out there. :)

Wayne, I totally agree about the frame!!! It had an ocean scene mounted in it... just water and a large ship. When I took it apart I realized it was something like a plastic-coated placemat. LOL!!! I don't have anything in the house mounted in stained or unstained wood and I debated for the longest time about what I could paint that would mesh with the frame. It works ok in real life, so I'll leave it for now. It's certainly easy enough to paint something different and replace it. LMK if you have any thoughts on that. I love natural wood, so am hesitant to paint the frame.

Donna, winter was on its way out when I was painting this, but it came back with a vengeance on Sunday. We're covered in white again and having low temps of 11F for days. pfffttttttttt!

Terri, thank you for loving my dark blues! I was hoping I didn't get too carried away. I'm somehow all about color the last few years. :)

Yes to recycling!!! I get so unhappy when I see what goes to dumps and landfills every day. I have another curb-side frame saved that needs filling. It's a bit larger, and also stained wood, so I'm working on another landscape to go with my end of winter scene. It's a view of the 13th hole at Augusta National Golf Course (site of the Masters) in April -- from photos I took there in 2019. I've always wanted to see it in person and then paint it. :)

I have never painted anything that looked good in a wood grain frame which is why I don't like them. I'm sure there are lots of pieces that would work but I have not done one nor can think of one. Hey, if you like it, it's yours to do with as you please. Enjoy. One day I may learn to keep my yap shut. All the best.

Hosta, I painted over this very loud gold frame and thought you might like to see it since you're all about reusing frames. I tried knocking back the gold and giving it a more antique look with some wood stain and then read about an artist who painted part of her gold frame black. I had just refinished some night stands with black paint so I tried it on the frame. It's a chalk paint with a built-in top coat and it sticks well to everything. I have enough leftover to do about a hundred more frames. 😄
frame.jpg

That looks great, Donna, and I love your pears! This and my next piece are going on a currently blank wall. For the past few years I've mostly used stretched canvas with a painted edge and no frame. Much lighter and easier to hang. Otherwise, I've used simple black frames with white matting. I may still do something with this frame... I'll make my decision once I have the next painting done and mounted.

I hope to find a floater frame that I can use the black paint on at a yard sale someday. I like simple black frames with white mats too - they go with everything.

Back