Emulsion lifts (kind of)

Terri

Supporting Member
Last fall, I came across a video that explained how to use waterslide paper for quick & easy emulsion lifts - though of course, you're not working with photographic emulsion but the coating of the waterslide paper. Apparently this stuff is used a lot for quick ways to add decals to items like coffee cups or whatnot, for businesses. But since any digital file can be used and this paper goes easily through an inkjet printer, I gave it a try.

Once you print your digital file, you coat it with an enamel spray to get those inks waterproof. Cut out your image and then slip it into a tray of water, like you would with the real process, only without heat involved. The "emulsion" lifts off easily in less than a minute. That stuff is strong - much less friable than classic Polaroid emulsions.

This first one I did on very cheap watercolor paper. I really tested the emulsion's strength - cutting, tearing, and ripping it everywhere. It was what I wanted to do in keeping with the subject, so it was a perfect test print for the process. If you look closely, upper and side left and elsewhere, you can see how hard I dug into the paper trying to rip that emulsion. I learned to use something other than a blade to avoid damaging the paper like this!

Torn sail:

Torn sail.jpg

Here is the original photo - just a cell phone snap that I took a couple of years ago, from my vantage point on Mackinac Island.
Dull as dirt. :ROFLMAO:

1650917431579.png

It's fun crafting what elements to keep and what to push/twist/curve away.

For the next attempt, I used Arches watercolor paper, much better quality. This is from a snap I took last year, of a very cheerful poster near the door of a business, reminding customers of their requirements for entry during the pandemic:

Mask up!

1650917639064.png

So, since my precious store of actual Polaroid film is now expired beyond its ability to do real emulsion lifts, this stuff seems like a worthy substitute.

Thanks for looking!

The tattered, flowing effect on the first one echoes the wind in the sails of the boat. Very cool! And the process sounds very interesting; I hope you'll do more of these!

Terri, you always blow me away with your photography techniques! This is so very cool! I hope to see more of these too!

I absolutely love the effect you achieved with that first one! Fascinating! ❤️❤️

Thanks so much for the kind words, everyone! It means a lot. ❤️

Wayne, dunno if it's worthy of a frame with the digs I made in the paper. :) We'll see.

Lamar, I do hope to do more of these, I could use a better printer though. 😆

Grant, thank you, this paper was new to me, too!

Donna, thank you - so happy you like them!

Sno, the first one was definitely the more challenging of the two. I'm glad you like it!

THAT IS BEYOND COOL!!!!!!!! That might be one of my favorite things that you've ever done. ♥️ <--galore!

Wow, I’d love to know how to do that. I love printing and playing with all it allows you to do. I will definitely look it up. I want to see how it is done.
That blue scape is a lot more Interesting than dirt after the process.
Gorgeous!

Wow, I’d love to know how to do that. I love printing and playing with all it allows you to do. I will definitely look it up. I want to see how it is done.
That blue scape is a lot more Interesting than dirt after the process.
Gorgeous!
Thanks so much! ❤️ It's easy, and I'd love to see what you could do!

Thanks so much! ❤️ It's easy, and I'd love to see what you could do!
I’ve been pretty poor but in August I will be able to afford a new computer and a printer. From what I have read Epson is the one to get. So far, my phone is my everything. 😁
I can take the shots!

Thanks, Terri! It sounds interesting! Of course, the second thing that pops into my head – after imagining all the "selfie cups" people could make (talk about "mug shots" 😜) – was if it could be used with other, water-soluble, media? Hmmm... 🤔

Thanks, Terri! It sounds interesting! Of course, the second thing that pops into my head – after imagining all the "selfie cups" people could make (talk about "mug shots" 😜) – was if it could be used with other, water-soluble, media? Hmmm... 🤔
Hi Rich! This stuff is made for promotional items - coffee cups (there's your selfie!), glass, signs, all kinds of things. It's easy to use.

Back