Draft(s) Crits, please

ntl

Contributing Member
Group 4.5 X 6" graphite on bond. How do I improve this drawing? Perspective, sizes, positions, etc. Thanks!:)

thumbnail_IMG_6915.jpg

I like the drawing. To me, the subjects are nicely spaced apart, and the chairs look proportionately good. I'm no sketcher, so take it with a grain of salt. ;) But for a draft, I'd say you're off to good start. Good interaction here among your table guests.

I'm intrigued!

I like it too. There is a lot going on to keep my interest and wonder what the story is. Your people look great to me.

Thank you both. I wondered about so much chair leg showing and body proportions. I see a change or two to make: the fellow on V right with his hand on the other man's shoulder-I'll move his elbow out a tiny bit and the head of another needs raised a bit.

This is all good! I was going to just reiterate watching how things closer to use should be a little larger than the things further back, but you seem to have that well-rendered here. This includes the chair legs. Did you do this with any reference, or real life, or out of your head? It's very good.

Arty, Thanks! "things closer to use should be a little larger than the things further back," You're right, and it's tricky, getting the proportions (male vs female) appropriate in a setting like this, men 30" away from the women, lol. Update in the WC forum.

It depends on how much "{realism" you're aiming at. You could over-exaggerate the foreshortening principle Arty suggested to create a dramatic picture, almost like a photo taken with a short focal length lens. Andrea Mantegna did that in this painting in 1480.

Andrea Mantegna 1.jpg

Oh boy! what talent! Would that I could do even something that resembled that! Thanks for the reference
Hermes2020!

Back