Downtown Ithaca

P. Barrie

16” x 20” oils on panel. Painted from photo I took this past summer. It’s still young in my psyche so I’m not yet very critical. Give it some time.

C24C4227-7D76-4BB0-A284-DE0B7A7241A2.jpeg

P.Barrie, very well painted. I'm looking at interesting lights (also different colors and shapes) coming from the light source and hitting the tree trunks. Beautiful! Background area is nice and shows the distance well. I find here nice front, middle and distant areas. I read in your post that this painting is still in progress and you are still thinking about it but may I still mention one little thing that caught my eye? I only wonder if the pink building in the top left corner is somehow maybe too visible and kind of floating in the air. Meaning that it belongs to the middle area but now seems to be more in front. Also, it can only be the photo so that in the painting it can be OK but in this photo I'm seeing it jumping "out of the painting". Maybe "blending" the building a little bit to the surrounding area so that it belongs to the middle ground. Overall this is working nice, I think.

Moscatel, thanks, appreciate your commenting. The building on the left is troublesome, I knew this from the onset. It is in the foreground and has a canterlivered ( overhang) 2nd story section with an awning at the bottom. You cannot tell this from the painting or the reference pic. I tried a different version showing more of the overhang but it didn’t work. Perhaps I will continue the edge of the building down to the ground, eliminating the overhang and add a window under the awning and narrow the wide bushes.

No, I do not, but I have been there. I'm pretty well-traveled. I live a couple hours outside of Los Angeles.

P.Barrie, very well painted. I'm looking at interesting lights (also different colors and shapes) coming from the light source and hitting the tree trunks. Beautiful! Background area is nice and shows the distance well. I find here nice front, middle and distant areas. I read in your post that this painting is still in progress and you are still thinking about it but may I still mention one little thing that caught my eye? I only wonder if the pink building in the top left corner is somehow maybe too visible and kind of floating in the air. Meaning that it belongs to the middle area but now seems to be more in front. Also, it can only be the photo so that in the painting it can be OK but in this photo I'm seeing it jumping "out of the painting". Maybe "blending" the building a little bit to the surrounding area so that it belongs to the middle ground. Overall this is working nice, I think.
Thanks again, I made some adjustments. The color of this photo taken in daylight is more accurate.

7B1C8359-A6A6-4291-A8FD-4275CA9316F6.jpeg

Those were the first things that I saw--the light and shadows. Beautifully done, reminiscent of soft mornings.
A nit: The top of the road is on a pretty strong slant. Reminds me of my writing: left to right is upward.

A great study in values, to me !
Wonderful ambiance.
The red projection is kinda confusing, I had to study it awhile before figuring out it was an awning, but nice.
I like it.

P.Barrie, now I understand the painting perfect!
In the earlier version I thought the pink building was in the middle ground. But now I see it's in the front area. All clear now, everything in it's place. The light is amazing in this painting! Also, the overall tone is lovely! Amazing work!

Very nice job on the shadows and light. I think the second version has more contrast and thus a little more 'punch' but I did like the purple tones in the first one.

great painting. I love how the shadow changes colors (as it should) as it goes over brick, sidewalk, grass ...
genius - adding that bit of building was all that was necessary to solve the awning problem

Much Thanks to all!
Ntl, good eye, The angle of the bridge bothered me as well and has been corrected.
Trufflecat, the purplish tones in the first post were caused by electric lamp light while I was photoing the painting. Surprising how much the color of light source can effect a photo, especially of artwork.

Back