Don't let the blues get you down

Perry

This is 8"x12" acrylic on watercolor paper.
I did at thumbnail and a full size layout for this one.
Thanks for looking.
finished.jpg

Great piece. The muted top right corner is the cornerstone that holds it together.

You are getting really good at abstracts. Are these all your first attempts? It's almost hard to believe. They are intelligently put together. This one is no exception. Good composition and color. ♥️

A very lovely abstract, Perry. Your colors are always serene and beautiful.

Thanks Laika.
Thanks Wayne. I think balance is one of the most important things
Thanks a lot Terri.
Thanks Arty. I've done some abstracts in the past but not a lot.
Here's the ideas I had before painting.
Here's my thumbnail and layout of shapes that I did first.
tn.jpg

firstpass.jpg

Agree with Arty, it is well put together and I also like the colors. The blues certainly didn't get you down. ❤️;)

Another wonderful abstract, Perry! Thanks for showing your thumbnail and layout study. It seems that you are able to maintain a degree of looseness in the finished piece without having to struggle so much to find a direction. Do you have a mood or thought in mind when you plan these or do you let the studies dictate those things?

Another wonderful abstract, Perry! Thanks for showing your thumbnail and layout study. It seems that you are able to maintain a degree of looseness in the finished piece without having to struggle so much to find a direction. Do you have a mood or thought in mind when you plan these or do you let the studies dictate those things?
Thanks Donna.
That's it. When I have the shapes organized and approximate values established in the layout
it gives me some confidence that I won't screw it up too bad.:) I still have to get the colors to work.
This method doesn't always work for me but I feel comfortable doing it that way.
I didn't have a thought or inspiration on this one but I do in some cases.
I draw a bunch of thumbnails, they're just doodles, and find one I like.

Last edited:
Back