Digital Sculpture

Hermes2020

I have mentioned before that I use 3D software to plan, fine tune the composition, and work out the physical details of my sculptures. The software I use most is called Rhino 3D; I use the current version, which is 7. It allows me to create the sculpture from initial sketches and then render it photorealistically to try different materials and effects. Very much like playing an instrument or a sport like golf, one has to practice regularly to get to know any software and become proficient in its use. Here are examples of an object I created as an exercise, then rendered to try different materials. I do not use software to create a final work, it is just a tool that helps me create the physical sculpture. Because it is a 3D object, it can be rotated and viewed from all angles. Just for fun I've included a fork and a glass in the renderings.

Sculpture 1_result.jpg

Instead of the dark metal, what if it is concrete?

Sculpture 3_result.jpg

Or glass? I put a brass rod behind it to show the refraction in the glass.

Sculpture 2_result.jpg

I'm not seeing the images. Are you planning to put them into a second post?

These are amazing! I have never played with 3D software or had an understanding of what it could do. What a wonderful way to experiment with materials and design to see what you want to use.

These are amazing! I have never played with 3D software or had an understanding of what it could do. What a wonderful way to experiment with materials and design to see what you want to use.
Thank you! It is a wonderful tool for sculptors. One can even place the object in a real environment like a garden to see what it will look like. I can show more steps in the planning and design phase, if anyone is interested.

Wow! Just amazing. And a stunning work of art! ♥️ ♥️ ♥️
Thank you, but I did not intend it to be a serious work—it was done as an exercise in using SubD modelling and realistic rendering, which is something I felt I had to get more practice doing. That's the thing with software: there is always something new to learn.

Wow, that's clever stuff! Great set of images. Thanks for sharing. :)

Very interesting, Hermes !

Count me in as one who would like to see your steps in the process.

Thanks for posting this.

I appreciate all the positive comments. Trier, I will show some of the basics of digital modelling soon. I am part of Creative Spark to learn, but also to share.

After spending my professional life as a scientist, in academic and business environments, I now have time to play with what really interests me: messing around with art-related stuff. There is nothing I enjoy more than sharing knowledge and techniques with others, because I have no secrets.

I don't think there are any secrets anyway. As artists, we are all (in a way) scientists too, and we all make discoveries simultaneously. No one can keep things under wraps too long. ;)

Back