Crossing the line to selling or not?

MurrayG

Contributing Member
Ok, here is the skeptic or doubting Thomas.
I know that art is in the eye of the beholder and there is no telling what can or will appeal to different folk. Now, as an "artist", and I mean this in the loosest sense possible.... When do you cross the line to accepting you are an artist and "deserve" an audience, through sales or whatever means.
Here, I feel safe and those that comment on my work I feel are sincere. So, where to next?
I mean, I am 70+ but I'm not gonna make it as a "name". I love what I do, but there is a limit to even my gifting and house wall space.
In the sticks of Croatia it's a bit cut off.
I do have an Ello account, website that I irregularly post to, but when it comes to Facebook and Instagram etc I'm a recluse.
I think I can produce OK, art, but that's my limited perspective.
Yes I know, it's not about the fame or sales and I agree.
But when is it "ok" to cross the line, and how?
Rant over... ,😁

It's okay whenever you say it is. Grandma Moses was 78 when she crossed the road. There's the old saying "fake it till you make it", which does not mean you have to be phony, just start acting like the artist you want to be. Dress for the part. Make up some business cards that say "Artist". Tell your friends, they may laugh, but not if they're smart. They might surprise you and want to see your work. I'm 80, two days ago I mentioned my art to an unsuspecting old friend and my 46-year-old daughter piped up and said how great I was and how she really wants several of my paintings. Surprising, beause since I started, she has never once said a thing about my paintings, pro or con. Don't be the chicken that doesn't cross the road.

Zen said it all so well. Your work is good and you should take the plunge! Are there any art groups in your area, Murray? Local shows to enter? Would you consider teaching or maybe getting a small plein air group together? As long as you are enjoying what you do I like to think the good things will come to you in time.

I hope you don't have any qualms about calling yourself an artist. It must start there. Don't put it in quotes. Why would you doubt that you "deserve" to be paid for your WORK? Does a doctor or a plumber not deserve to be paid for theirs? Do they have to be famous in order to ask for payment for their jobs? Of course it's not about being popular or famous. It's just about putting prices on your finished works. That's all. Don't feel uncomfortable about something every artist is doing. Don't feel shame or anything of the sort. It's your right. You make something and why wouldn't you need something in exchange for it, like money? You could ask for something else in barter, but money works as well as anything else that is needed for your survival. Is it money you're uncomfortable with? Maybe find out where the "deserve" thing is coming from. You deserve to make a living, Murray! Your art is awesome! ♥️

First, your artwork is well worth it, Murray. Start with knowing that for yourself. Look at all the sincere compliments you get here from actual artists.

In my opinion your more rural location isn't necessarily the issue, as in larger population bases there are not always more venues per artist anyway. If anything you seem to be making very good use of your surroundings for subject matter.

I've been wrestling with the same thing. As better stuff piles up (and my wife doesn't appreciate my work, so not on my own walls), I started taking all the compliments from others seriously. "You could sell these," is frequently heard by artists, which I've found is really just the general public's way of saying, "They're nice." It's not necessarily a request for a price negotiation at all, at least not most times!

What I've come down to at 74 is that there is not time left, nor do I want to spend my remaining years trying to work into a profession from the ground up. The advice for someone half my age or less simply doesn't apply. I get it, but don't have to do that. Earned my chops in too many careers already. Sure, the extra cash would be nice as would be that extra compliment that someone would part with money for it, but I'm fortunate in not needing that for income.

At this point with truly minor efforts in the marketing realm, I've come to the conclusion that what I want most is merely for more people to actually see and appreciate my artwork. So I'm concentrating on getting into shows or gallery spaces. I am being selective about this, however. If it's going to hang where people really aren't looking and/or they're just jostling it for space for other activities, I don't need that, which you might find a little snobbish, but that's my choice.

Examples: The stairway between floors in my local hospital is not where people spend even a second looking at what hangs on that wall. Some coffee shops I visit have some wonderful art on the walls that those with their noses in their cups, their laptops, or their neighbor's business do not actually bother to view. Hanging in the tourist knickknack shop alongside cutesy crafts really isn't for me. For others I know that's a starting point on the way up; more power to them, but it's not what I want. A wall that is dedicated to art viewing in the local rec center makes more sense to me. Just my opinion, and nobody needs to agree with that.

I've also come to the conclusion that, if I have to sell my paintings at ridiculously low prices - effectively giving it away - I'd rather stick to just giving it away outright to friends who truly do appreciate it. My only condition is that they must frame and hang it, and return it no questions asked when they don't want to do that anymore.

If any sell, cool. Only a few have so far. I can live with that, as long as I get to spend what time I have creating the artwork that I like.

Your Mileage May Vary.

Hi Bart. I can relate to most of what you say. I actually ran a small gallery in Aust many years ago so appreciate the scene. Here it's a quite "rural" scene even tho it's on the coast. There is a small gallery in a nearby village, it's kinda sculpture & modern, but yes some artists.
Likewise, any sale would be a wonderful surprise, but I'm just as ok with quality viewing space or barter.
I think I'm just now coming to terms with the realization that some of my stuff works, and folk like it, mostly. Lots to ponder.
Thanks for explaining your situation and perspective, its rather helpful.

Last edited:
Your work is really good, I'll keep saying that, Murray.

I have a little gallery experience myself. For a few years I would help a local gallerist friend decide on how to display his wares. Then an agency I ran had a gallery as one aspect, and I worked with a committee of artists, connoisseurs and a couple of gallerists to decide on exhibits and display.

I've bemoaned my opinion of the art market enough here to have become boring about it. Or obnoxious, take your pick.

When I look here and elsewhere online I see sooooo many really good works and consistently good artists. It's a tough world in which to struggle for attention, when not enough people seem to want to give much if any attention to art.

Take the compliments as sincere. Enjoy them. Hang or exhibit where you can so that others can enjoy your work.

Surround yourself with a Mediterranean garden full of Croatian lavender. Have a glass or a bottle of wine made where some of the worlds greatest grape varieties got their start. Munch on some oil cured Pag cheese. Have a skewer of local lamb or beef. Then go paint like crazy! I'll be over in 15 minutes.

Murray, your work is wonderful. I too, had a hard time calling myself an artist for many years but now I proudly tell people I am an artist and it opens the door to many good conversations and sometimes sales. You are an artist and when you sell, you become a professional artist.
He who has a thing to sell,
And goes and whispers in a well,
Is not so apt to get the dollars
As he who climbs a tree and hollers. ;)

Hello, It is hard to judge whether or not you would qualify as a professional artist. I do occationally produce digital art for my clients. They do not sale for much. However, it is a good hobby of mine to enjoy on the weekend.

Ok, here is the skeptic or doubting Thomas.
I know that art is in the eye of the beholder and there is no telling what can or will appeal to different folk. Now, as an "artist", and I mean this in the loosest sense possible.... When do you cross the line to accepting you are an artist and "deserve" an audience, through sales or whatever means.
Here, I feel safe and those that comment on my work I feel are sincere. So, where to next?
I mean, I am 70+ but I'm not gonna make it as a "name". I love what I do, but there is a limit to even my gifting and house wall space.
In the sticks of Croatia it's a bit cut off.
I do have an Ello account, website that I irregularly post to, but when it comes to Facebook and Instagram etc I'm a recluse.
I think I can produce OK, art, but that's my limited perspective.
Yes I know, it's not about the fame or sales and I agree.
Rant over... ,😁
You are saying just what I have been pondering my self.

Hi Murray, I always enjoy seeing your paintings in the plein air forum and hope you are feeling quite good by all the compliments in this thread as they are deserved.

I think that art is something that happens within us while in the act of painting, and I think that you know that feeling well. And so therefore you are an artist.

There are some good points in the thread. Selling to make a good income will require lots beyond the act of painting, marketing, framing and getting your work out the door into galleries. Commissions can be a blessing or a curse. But if you don’t need to sell, then you also can avoid all the days of doing these things and enjoy the inner moments that creating art brings.

I hope you have a nice evening,
Kyle

Last edited:
Thanks Kyle. Yes to much of what you mention. I struggle but enjoy my art, mostly as I always doubt mysel, but find it increadably rewarding when it comes together. It may be nice to sell a little, as it confirms that process if being an artist, but I recognise the limits of effort and time. At an active 70, I still see time, even if it's getting shorter. Today another small piece heads off to a new home. I have recently had some realisations that I may discuss in another thread.

Back