Critique subforum

ilya

Hi Ayin, and all forum members too,

I am wondering if it would make sense to have a critique subforum. I really want to have an honest feedback if I ever post my work.

I am not sure how could that be better to have even two... let's say different streams of critique, because there may be people doing their first steps, more sensitive and not ready for completely open feedback, and others who really want to grow and can take more harsh comments. But maybe that can be figured out later.

Myself, I can get enough wows from relatives, and if I am among artists, I want to hear the truth with less pats on the back. Hope you get what I mean.

There was one of these on wet canvas and it was very helpful to me. We also stuck something like "C&C welcome" in our sig if we were good with crits in general. I tried that on here, but it's not showing up🤔

Last edited:
There are options in your profile that may affect and I also think there's difference in desktop vs. mobile layout.

I had that in my signature on WC but it did not make difference. I had to explicitly say I want feedback to improve. But again, if I post on an art forum, it is never for a show but for a real feedback.

I saw few times people getting really offended by critique when they didn't ask explicitly. I could never understand that on a forum. If you want only likes and wows, use Instagram or FB.

There are options in your profile that may affect and I also think there's difference in desktop vs. mobile layout.

I had that in my signature on WC but it did not make difference. I had to explicitly say I want feedback to improve. But again, if I post on an art forum, it is never for a show but for a real feedback.

I saw few times people getting really offended by critique when they didn't ask explicitly. I could never understand that on a forum. If you want only likes and wows, use Instagram or FB.

Yeah that's weird, especially if they weren't being mean or anything. Some amount of tact is important of course, but why bother if you aren't willing to learn from other people's insight?

Each subforum on wc was like it's own little universe with their own rules on how to go about it. I mostly hung out in acrylics and fortunately I never ran into anything like that.

A specific crit forum would be very helpful, but even more so I think critting in the regular forums is as helpful and important. A reason I post work IS for suggestions on not only what is working, but elements the critter sees as needing adjustment. From WC: https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/topic/please-read-prior-to-posting/ .
One suggestion was to first say two-three things that work well, and then a few that need work.
It's helpful on posts, if crits and comments are welcome/wanted, to SAY so. Otherwise...
And be KIND, when critting. People do their best, beginners are beginners, after all, and those who have been working at this a long time can use reminders. Crits are to help improve, either the current piece, or future works.

Last edited:
Is a critique subforum really needed? I feel like I'd have to just post all my work there then and neglect the other forums.
I agree with ntl on just posting in the normal forums and asking for/accepting it there.

There was one of these on wet canvas and it was very helpful to me. We also stuck something like "C&C welcome" in our sig if we were good with crits in general. I tried that on here, but it's not showing up🤔
Hi AES, I can see your signature just fine (I'm on my laptop atm). But I don't think signatures show up on mobile devices.

Just wanted to clarify that for you. :)

There are definitely pros and cons, and I'm pretty sure most of us are familiar with them! ;)

I'm not certain we'll get an answer today, being a Sunday, but I will make sure it gets some attention.

Well, critique is not forbidden in other forums. What I meant is a place for critique only. For everything else, I do know I am a genius. When it comes to very creatively clicking the Upload button. But for my works, I need guidance all the time.

Hi AES, I can see your signature just fine (I'm on my laptop atm). But I don't think signatures show up on mobile devices.

Just wanted to clarify that for you. :)
ok I see it now on my pc. And it absolutely does not show up on my phone.
It does show up on mobile if I use the desktop mode though (i use firefox).

I, too, am here to learn and desire the opinions of others, not just a participation trophy. "Back in the day" (as the trendy saying now goes), WC members offered a lot more suggestions. They do have little used critique forums. Even in the monthly challenges, I was surprised to see a change to "no critique unless requested". Members have told me they are just there to participate, and are doing their art for enjoyment, with no desire to improve. (Of course, "improvement" is subjective.) At this pint, I am just glad to have any site like this.

I once asked the question about a Critique sub forum. It was suggested that if desired, I ask for Critique in my post. I think this makes good sense rather than have a separate forum to manage. If one requests a critique, be specific and open to criticism. If one offers a critique, they should first research for what is proper and professionally acceptable when giving a Critique. Be cautious of using “catch” words as they can be misinterpreted.

Back