Country Road Again

P. Barrie

20” x 16”, oils on panel. From photo I took from a road nearby my residence. This hill is one of the highest in our area.
This painting was more of a struggle for me and took longer than usual. I may darken the power lines when it dries a bit as the sky is still quite wet. What do you think?

B7DDCDB8-A70F-4729-88C0-F5D8357C7212.jpeg

Last edited:
Beautiful autumn scene, Patrick! The weeds in the foreground are as pretty as the trees and I like the variety of greens. The faint indications of power lines work just fine for me but see what others say.

Hi Patrick, really lovely colours. The right hand verge and the hedge that draws one over to the right hand trees sings. As Donna says, I would be careful aboutthe powerlines, I like it as it is and I feel if the lines were stronger, it would pull the gaze away from the lovely fore and midground, but thats just me :) Very nice painting.

Oh wow! That is beautiful and so typical. It could be so many places right around here. ❤️❤️

Beautiful painting with cheerful colors.
I am ambiguous about the power lines, in reality one would see them thicker but it is a narrow path between right and too thick and therefor distracting.

I love it! It's a beautiful scene. And, I think the power lines are good...but I don't get where they are going as they approach the foreground. That would be my only critique.

Donna, thank you. The variety of greens are mixed from Ultramarine, Phalo, Cad Lemon, and Cad Yellow Medium with some Pyrrole red, depending on color temp and saturation. At one point I tried using some viridian but it didn’t harmonize and was quickly wiped off.

Murray, thank you. I added the power lines, it was a struggle. Not sure if they will stay, have to give it some time to hash over.

Sno, thank you, glad you connect with the scene. Where are you located?

Esther, thank you. When I added the power lines they get a little thicker and lower in value as they get closer.

Ayin, thank you. Agreed that the lines are either in or not, as the fade out didn't feel right, so for now their in. I will be posting the pic with those changes and a few other changes as soon as I can get a decent photo.

Thanks Jo, they may be distracting. I’m gonna wait awhile before I look at it again, then see how It feels.

So here’s the latest with the wires and other changes. I think this is a better pic taken in window light.
So I’ll wait awhile for some detachment to reevaluate how the wires work. Feel free to add your take.

49E53642-92A7-4FE7-9C97-6FA3C4FF1E05.jpeg

Beautiful scene, my eyes wander around the painting to see what's there. Lovely contrasts in tone and colour. I like how you did the power lines.

Love the shadows and golden trees on the left. The power lines are nicely done and don't distract. Reminds me of NW Illinois or SW Wisconsin.

The power lines turned out well! They are there but they are hardly noticeable.

What a lovely scene! I feel like I could be in this painting, strolling down the road on a fine fall day. ❤️ Your details are amazing on the house and barn, the colors are so rich - great work.

I am pondering the power lines, just thinking if I were viewing them from the right side of the road, which is nearly the center of the painting, they would be coming towards me in a more straightforward way. I'm not following the trajectory of the upwards swoop, if that makes sense. That said, you did mention that you had a ref photo of the scene, so it's likely to be almost an optical illusion.

Back