Contemplation

Enyaw

namuh
18.jpg

study .. oil on paper .. alla prima .. knife .. 11 x14 inches .. painted Feb 13/22

Thank you Zen and GrantCee.

Awe man, you scared them all away. 🤣

But did you see the girl sitting on a rock on the beach on a moonlit night wit stars and clouds in the gentle moonlight. Viewer bottom right.

I watch too many crime shows. The poor little girl doesn't see it coming but gets victimized from the crud lurking in the shadows. That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 🤥

Yikes! I see what both of you see but the girl is crawling up out of some kind of muck, thinking she's safe when that thing is looming behind her. This is pretty cool!

Always enjoy your abstracts, Wayne. They're fun to study and interpret. Someone is contemplating taking two paths and neither one looks very inviting!

I gotta say. This one is downright scary. I study my studies after I post and this one gives me the jitters. Sin bin for sure.

Thank you Donna and OleKobe

Great stuff. I like all your works but this one has a little more smoothness that I find to be less jarring. However there is still a mysterious undertone which is what is so great with your paintings. So it's smooth but not minimalist or too relaxing and retains a certain anxiousness.

I don't see anyone. Maybe later after staring and with a different head....

What I see is a path/road through a mysterious realm. Water on the right lower half and ahead, and unfathomable nature on the left with sky or water above. All the while the mountains bear down, and the scary things within it, but it's OK because the path leads us out toward a more open view of sky and sea. But even that path is uncertain and dissolves into the maelstrom.

My eye does want some warm earth colors or some red though. Maybe some red clay dirt on that path. But if you start listening to me you'll end up with pablum.

;)

BTW, why do you call them "studies". ?

Last edited:
Yay! I saw the girl without being prompted!
Very interesting, Wayne! I'm seeing lots of nice greens in this one.

Thank you John an Lamar. I do like that it leads in circles and doesn't resolve. There is always a different starting point and so a different end.

Studies because I am simply moving paint around almost endlessly until it pleases my eye. So I study my paint mixtures and then when done and posted, I study what I actually did while I have a vague recollection of how I did it. Makes sense to me. I think a painting would have a little more planning but then again: on the other hand, a painting takes life when you can lay it down as if every stoke were planned in advance though they are done in recovery mode.

Thank you John an Lamar. I do like that it leads in circles and doesn't resolve. There is always a different starting point and so a different end.

Studies because I am simply moving paint around almost endlessly until it pleases my eye. So I study my paint mixtures and then when done and posted, I study what I actually did while I have a vague recollection of how I did it. Makes sense to me. I think a painting would have a little more planning but then again: on the other hand, a painting takes life when you can lay it down as if every stoke were planned in advance though they are done in recovery mode.

Oh, interesting. Because sometimes "study' means a prelim to a larger more finished painting as you know. I often find studies more interesting than finished perfect paintings. They are usually more abstracted and impressionistic.

I like your kind of study. You are actually observing a changing thing. Studying what happens. Most studies are like a static snapshot. Although I suppose the artist is then even studying things.

I like that idea of just keep moving it around. Heck, why not? As per the bolded above. With this thick knife work oil we can literally just scrape it off and try again. Coming from watercolors that is something foreign to me. It's one and done for the most part.

And now I see her. Plain as day. My excuse is that she is looking out of the frame. You just don't do that. :)

Put a red hat on her next time for the dummies like me. :)

Oh but no. Her eyes are closed. She is looking inward.
I am the artist. I can do what I please, if I can. 🤣.

Back