Cold and Quiet

Trier, thank you and thanks for your thoughts about the trees. I guess it's different when you're standing in front of a wall of trees in real life ... they don't seem to be such a flat mass as when you paint them.

Sanlynn, Patrick, moscatel and Cindy - thank you all so much!

Wow, this is great. Really unusual in colour and texture. It works beautifully.

Wow, so cold. 🥶 I love the texture you've used to hint the trees in the background and I actually like that three trees are standing out, it gives a sense of depth imho. Well done! Now I gotta get warm. 🤣

Thanks so much Claudia, Dm7 and Hosta - I guess that cold feeling really came across. I wasn't sure if it was so cold as to be unappealing but I guess it's better to feel something from a painting than nothing. Dm7 - I hope you found your wool socks!

Very nice Donna. I like the trees in the front. It gives the painting a center of interest.

Love the sombre mood and texture in the one Donna - beautiful. The mass of trees has worked well - interesting variation of colour and texture - very believable and inviting.(y)

This is done on a surface that I had previously added texture to. It was a disaster at the time but I thought it might work for this one. I used a sketch, some written notes and memory of a favorite woods for reference. One of my notes said to "keep the mass of the trees" so I tried not to break them up too much. I'm not sure it works and I certainly welcome any thoughts or advice. Soft pastels on 300lb watercolor paper with pumice gel. 11x12in. Also if any Mods see this 1. Is cross posting to another forum allowed? 2. I have tried to add a line about C&C under my signature but it doesn't show up so if you can
help me I'd appreciate it.

It's wonderful, you must be pleased with it. (sorry I posted twice by mistake)

Anne, Arnie and Katie - thank you so much! Your comments are giving me the confidence to try another painting using my sketchbook for reference. I hate feeling like I have to follow photos so much!

Back