Cat in a Pot

heatherlynelle

I made this over the last couple of days. Aliferous and Faber Castell oil pastels on Strathmore pastel paper.

Attachments

• 20240405_083450.jpg
    20240405_083450.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 23
This is such a cat-like pose and I like it a lot, Heather! Does the Strathmore paper work better for oil pastels than the soft ones?

This is such a cat-like pose and I like it a lot, Heather! Does the Strathmore paper work better for oil pastels than the soft ones?
Yes. I think it works better for oils, but works ok for soft too. I used your sanded paper that you sent me for a recent soft pastel piece and it worked well. I liked it! See attached for that one. It is also the piece that I mentioned fixing by mistake.

Attachments

• 20240331_144350.jpg
    20240331_144350.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 20
I’m so glad you tried a sanded paper and think your painting is very nice! I’m sorry to hear about the fixative trouble but it seems everyone goes through that with soft pastels. If the fixative made the colors too dark (like it does) I hope you can add more pastel on top to revive it.

You really captured the perfect cat-nap pose here, Heather. Colors are great! Happy to see you working those oil pastels. Keep up the good work! :)

I’m so glad you tried a sanded paper and think your painting is very nice! I’m sorry to hear about the fixative trouble but it seems everyone goes through that with soft pastels. If the fixative made the colors too dark (like it does) I hope you can add more pastel on top to revive it.
That is what I did! It worked.

I posted and evidently did not hit "post reply". Old habit I guess. I really like your gestures, forms and colors. Well done. I asked about the paper same as Donna T if you liked it. Saw your answer. I have tried it for soft pastels and the strong grid shows but doesn't really hold the soft pastel. The paper felt slick to me.
I also like the one you sprayed. It came out very nice. Sanded paper is great for soft pastels. Be careful, soft pastels are addictive! Ha.

I posted and evidently did not hit "post reply". Old habit I guess. I really like your gestures, forms and colors. Well done. I asked about the paper same as Donna T if you liked it. Saw your answer. I have tried it for soft pastels and the strong grid shows but doesn't really hold the soft pastel. The paper felt slick to me.
I also like the one you sprayed. It came out very nice. Sanded paper is great for soft pastels. Be careful, soft pastels are addictive! Ha.
I don't have experience with other papers for pastels so don't have anything to compare it to other than the one time with sanded paper for the soft pastels. I am wondering if there is a better paper for oils. I got both papers second-hand.

Back