Cars

Artyczar

What about cars? Are they art? I actually don't think they are. I think they fall more into the category of design, but what kind of cars do you like?

I used to restore type 3 Volkswagons, which are the Fastbacks and Squarebacks. I actually was never able to get my hands on a Fastback, but those are my favorite. I did restore this Squareback from two different cars and frankensteined them together. I never did the engine work myself, just the body work, aside from welding half the bottom pan onto the passenger side floor, which has some rust cancer in it. I essentially did everything else to this 1970, 1st year fuel-injected Squareback. I never had great pictures of it. (Sorry.) None of these car pictures are mine except the first two.

herman (2).jpg

herman272 (2).jpg

I wish I had pics of the interior! And pics of it washed. It had nothing on it when I got it. If I had before and after pics, you'd be impressed, I promise.

Before this, my first car, which I also don't have pics of was a 1976 vinyl-top Triumph TR-7. It was yellow gold, and I hated the color and the vinyl, so I spent the summer wet-sanding it and painted it red (I was 15 and wanted a cool red sportscar, what can I say?). Those are worth more now, so it was stupid. But here's a picture of what it looked like before and after:

1976_Triumph_TR7_Victory_Edition_Yellow_Mark_Durbin_003.jpg

image-asset.jpeg

What I really wanted after that was a midnight blue TR-6 convertible, but I kind of hated convertibles. I wanted to get one to fix up and sell. If I had one for myself then, I would have got a hardtop, like this one:

ebay138530.jpg

I had a 2-door (rare) 1965 Rambler American that was baby blue (also rare), but my father sold it from under my nose while I was in Europe.

14800614-1965-rambler-american-srcset-retina-md.jpg

14800583-1965-rambler-american-srcset-retina-md.jpg

He sold it for 500 fucking dollars because he thought it was junk! I was in the middle of restoring it. The engine was almost completed (this engine is amazing) and the body was straight except for a front headlight just needing a replacement because of a little ding, other wise it was a beauty. Now this car would be worth $25,000 in ANY condition, more if in mint.

I like Corvaires and some muscle cars too, depending.

I never owned one, but I love the look of a '62 Chevy Corvair. I'd love one in white:

1962-chevrolet-corvair-monza-900-coupe.jpg

1959 Chevrolet Corvette "Bill Mitchell" Stingray prototype although it never hit mass production as far as I know.
Many of the Ferrari models are art label worthy.

Back from power outage land.

Oh no, PLEEZE don't make me change the spark plugs in a Squareback!

And our car, still going strong. 2000 Acura Integra GS.

Young men frequently implore us to sell her. They don't realize she's a GS with an auto tranny, not a pocket rocker GSR with a stick. But compared to today's hideous designs, she's a sharp lookin' old lady.

The seats are low. You fall in and have to climb out. She's got no rust anywhere; had none when we bought her in 2010. Her undercarriage is clean as a whistle. This is a small miracle around here. We get her oil undercoated every year.

2000-acura-integra-gs.jpg

I used to love cars until during lockdown here in the UK my neighbours decided to try and affect my mental health revving their ultra noisy motors every morning and night. Here's them leaving one morning. Anyone here got a stinger?
image(5)_1591950225813.jpg

I used to like the old Jag XK series
And our car, still going strong. 2000 Acura Integra GS.

Young men frequently implore us to sell her. They don't realize she's a GS with an auto tranny, not a pocket rocker GSR with a stick. But compared to today's hideous designs, she's a sharp lookin' old lady.

The seats are low. You fall in and have to climb out. She's got no rust anywhere; had none when we bought her in 2010. Her undercarriage is clean as a whistle. This is a small miracle around here. We get her oil undercoated every year.

View attachment 917
I really like the styling of your car musket, and the colour.

I have a Honda now. It's been running forever. No more having to find a hill to park on to pop the clutch and kick start the cars anymore. It just starts right up. My art fits in it too. It's a CRV. It gets great gas mileage.

By the way Musket, that Squareback was a fuel-injected automatic trans, first year they ever made one. And changing plugs on any VW was a lot easier than most other old cars. Forget about changing them on the new cars!

Well yeah, changing anything (if you can)is awful on the new cars, but changing plugs on the pancake engine was no fun either. Otherwise I liked my Squareback.

I used to like the old Jag XK series

I really like the styling of your car musket, and the colour.

Yeah the old XK 120, 140 and 150 are beautiful. The E Type is of course gawjus.

Our car thanks you. We never gave her a name. That's not her, stock photo, but she's the same except she's a four-door.

My cars usually had boys names. The white Squareback was Herman and the blue Rambler was Eugenie.

Classic cars made in France in the 1930s are among the most beautiful rolling works of Art ever created.
1591973480248.png

1935 Delahaye Type 135 at Pebble Beach

Back