Carmel & Big Sur

Thanks for the insights and erudite explanations. When one sees such saturated colors in art, it can have the viewer wondering if it was exaggerated. thanks for the photos, as the turquoise waters remind me of the Caribbean. It is hard to believe it is really so vivid until it is personally witnessed.

Thanks for the insights and erudite explanations. When one sees such saturated colors in art, it can have the viewer wondering if it was exaggerated. thanks for the photos, as the turquoise waters remind me of the Caribbean. It is hard to believe it is really so vivid until it is personally witnessed.
Joy, every time I visit the Monterey Peninsula I'm blown away by the colors, as I have been for the past 50 years. The waters alone wherever you look have astonishing color. The non-native ice plant that covers the CA coastline has a truly varied and vivid color range, from bright yellow-green, through shades of green, into orange, red and rust and dusty brown, and are dotted with flowers in white, yellow and into the vivid purple spectrum. The rocks - sometimes sedimentary sandstone, sometimes igneous volcanic - are striated horizontally with bands of color and shaded interestingly vertically due to the effects of erosion and the planes of light playing across or down on them. In that area the transparency of the water shows off the varied colors of the kelp and seaweed. Sand can range from dark brown to brilliant warm white. If I'm sounding poetic, it's because the views are indeed lyrical. The challenge is to capture all that.

Bart, I don’t know much about proper ways to use color, or not, (and I’m now toying around with fluorescents for god sakes). But, I happen to think your color choices here are VERY appealing. Really nice work…

I love your photos, what a great place to paint. I think you picked a good class to take. Good instructions.
I like MiTientes paper. I use it for sketching. Wipe it off and go again. I've just grown partial to Pastelbord as it is so easy to frame against the glass.

Are you going to IAPS? I haven't been in about 10 years. I love the whole time there. We are from New Mexico so I'm at home in the area.

I love your photos, what a great place to paint. I think you picked a good class to take. Good instructions.
I like MiTientes paper. I use it for sketching. Wipe it off and go again. I've just grown partial to Pastelbord as it is so easy to frame against the glass.

Are you going to IAPS? I haven't been in about 10 years. I love the whole time there. We are from New Mexico so I'm at home in the area.
No, not going.

Joy, every time I visit the Monterey Peninsula I'm blown away by the colors, as I have been for the past 50 years. The waters alone wherever you look have astonishing color. The non-native ice plant that covers the CA coastline has a truly varied and vivid color range, from bright yellow-green, through shades of green, into orange, red and rust and dusty brown, and are dotted with flowers in white, yellow and into the vivid purple spectrum. The rocks - sometimes sedimentary sandstone, sometimes igneous volcanic - are striated horizontally with bands of color and shaded interestingly vertically due to the effects of erosion and the planes of light playing across or down on them. In that area the transparency of the water shows off the varied colors of the kelp and seaweed. Sand can range from dark brown to brilliant warm white. If I'm sounding poetic, it's because the views are indeed lyrical. The challenge is to capture all that.
Outstanding writing - this has me yearning to visit!

Beautiful work, Bart - I happen to love these deep rich colors, and the landscape images certainly seem to beg for them! For me, this is some of your richest work yet. Glad you enjoyed the workshop, and you came away with some terrific work.

For what it's worth, I detest Mi Teintes paper for oil pastels - always thought soft pastels looked so much better with that paper.

Congrats on these successes!

These are probably my favorites of all your work I've seen. And I envy you your trip to Carmel and Big Sur. I was able to just drive through once but had to get back home for my work so all I could do is drive through. I've always wished to go back but now that I have the time, I haven't the means or the money. Isn't that always the way of it? lol Thank you for posting these. They're wonderful and I'm glad to be able to enjoy them.

Back