'Cape Night' - advice please

trufflecat

So Bongo's recent post of his Aqua Marine Dream reminded me of this painting I did a while ago. However, I really like his treatment much better than mine, as I said in my comments on his : it has a dynamic spontaneous feel. This painting of mine was intended to be tranquil rather than lively, but still, it is just too stolid. And too realistic. There is, btw, a city in the far distance, but you can barely see it.
So I'm soliciting comments from all of you lovely people on how I can jazz this up a bit and make it more abstract and interesting. At first I thought the problem with it was that it was too plain and needed, for example, a person on the beach, but now I think it's more of an overall composition and treatment problem (ie too 'tight') Plus maybe the purple is just TOO much, ie too bright.
Thanks in advance!
18x24

Cape Night.jpg

Attachments

• Cape Night.jpg
    Cape Night.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 75
Sorry, I have no advice for improvement, I like it too much as it is.
I think you really succeeded in shooting for tranquillity.

Perhaps a shooting star in the sky? Just be careful not to mirror the curve of the shoreline.

Me, too. It's quite peaceful. Maybe that's what a lot of us need...
But it's your painting, since you feel the purple may be too bright, what do you think of a glaze on it, to tone it down a bit?

It is quite nice and tranquil as is, and any advice I would give would only destroy it's peacefulness .
However, you did inspire me to see an abstract based on this, and if I can pull it off I will post separately.

Susan - I love this. Our paintings are of two different styles. Imo the precision of this piece is what makes it work. --be loosey-goosey on another painting. My suggestion would be to make the sky a gently gradient instead of banded - and leaning more toward blue.

BTW I'm open and look forward to any suggestions/comments on my work -- maybe I should start posting that with my work so more people will know I'm okay with that.

I love the subtleness between the blues and purples in this piece. It is stunning. Really nice work! ❤️

You are all just too nice! Thanks so much for all the thoughtful comments and suggestions.
Trier - Can't wait to see your abstract based on this!
Bongo - Yes, a gentle gradient in the sky (and bluer to relieve the purple-ness) would fit better with the tranquility, I agree. I have had a fixation with stripes (banding) but I think I'm getting over it....:) Please just keep posting your wonderful night scenes. I am always inspired by them.
Sno - Not sure I could pull off a shooting star, but a great idea, thanks!
ntl - A glaze is a nice idea for toning down, maybe a dull blue? Thanks a bunch.
EJH, Arty - I appreciate your too-generous comments, thank you.

Back