Can someone tell me what these are?

16ga

I have this box of 12 sticks. Are they actually charcoal or are they charcoal colored pastels? Or just some mix of the 2?
20210808_101258.jpg

20210808_101252.jpg

I bought them expecting charcoal but the sticks inside are uniform and remind me of soft pastels.

Probably compressed charcoal. Compressed charcoal has a binder mixed into it. It is normally smoother to apply, but also a bit more difficult to erase. Works well with graphite and dry pastels. I use compressed charcoal regularly, with graphite and dry pastels, however, I've never used the Blick brand...

Compressed black pigment of some sort, not necessarily charcoal, mixed with binders.
I find vine charcoal much more touch sensitive and more “brushlike”, offering a greater range of values when working quickly.

Thanks. I did a search on compressed charcoal and that appears to be what they are.
Would they be safe to use under oil paint?

Compressed black pigment of some sort, not necessarily charcoal, mixed with binders.
I find vine charcoal much more touch sensitive and more “brushlike”, offering a greater range of values when working quickly.
I find when you combine them with vine charcoal you extend your range of value; compressed charcoal gets darker than vine ime.
I like to use them after being done with the vine, and very certain about where I want the darkest value, unlike vine charcoal it´s very difficult to remove...
Man, I am way overdue getting my fingers dirty again with this stuff....

Compressed charcoal would be difficult to use under oils. Indeed, the first layer would be heavily discolored by the charcoal pigment. I tended to use conte (sanguine, burnt sienna, Tuscan red, or a similar color) under my oils... and only after spraying this with fixative. I still use similar colors for the drawing in my mixed media (acrylic, pastel, etc...) paintings. Even then I paint over the under-drawing with a reddish-brown. This helps unify the painting as a whole, provides a nice ground for the pastel and keeps the under-drawing from bleeding through. Black is just too strong.

1.600.jpg

2.jpg

30.jpg

Vine charcoal is easy to make, all you need is foil, vine, fire and 30 minutes.
Can confirm. I used willow branches (remove the bark), a tin with a lid with a tiny hole punched in it, and a small woodfire on an old barbeque. I now have enough to last me years. (Don't open the tin immediately after taking it out of the fire, if you don't allow it to cool, poof, you produced a heap of ashes...)

Thanks. I have a shipment on the way that has some in it so I wont need for awhile.
But for the future any idea how wild grapevine would do?

Can confirm. I used willow branches (remove the bark), a tin with a lid with a tiny hole punched in it, and a small woodfire on an old barbeque. I now have enough to last me years. (Don't open the tin immediately after taking it out of the fire, if you don't allow it to cool, poof, you produced a heap of ashes...)
I have enough for years too, lol. There are many vids on how to make it, and what I like is the oil paint covers it because it is without additives. I tested it with white oil paint and it disappears. There are plenty of wild grapevines out there, I also have some in my garden.

Back