Camshaft I

Hermes2020

This is the first in a series of paintings inspired by the beautiful camshaft I showed in a previous post. Griffin alkyd paints on hardboard, with an inset of a concrete impression of the camshaft. Size 760 x 610mm.

Camshaft I.jpg

Detail 1.jpg

Detail 2.jpg

Detail 3.jpg

I did not want a crisp impression of the camshaft, since I wanted an ancient, corroded and decayed effect, so I just pushed it down into a bed of concrete with some stainless steel mesh that would anchor the impression on the back of the painting. The lowest parts of the impression are 32mm deep, so there is a sculptural quality to the painting.

Camshaft.jpg

Concrete Cast.jpg

DSC_6492.jpg

The fact that you made an inset to feature the camshaft takes this to another level, Hermes! So much texture to explore and I love how you replicated the worn, rusted look. What are the little squares above the camshaft made of, collage of some sort? Amazing piece!

The fact that you made an inset to feature the camshaft takes this to another level, Hermes! So much texture to explore and I love how you replicated the worn, rusted look. What are the little squares above the camshaft made of, collage of some sort? Amazing piece!
Thank you Donna. The little squares are just painted on, but not very smoothly, to give a worn look.

Well. This just grabs the eye and doesn't let go! A beautiful piece, Hermes. Rugged and textural, with gorgeous colors.

I love your approach to capturing the feel of this rugged old camshaft. The running red paint is perfect! Love it! ❤️

Well. This just grabs the eye and doesn't let go! A beautiful piece, Hermes. Rugged and textural, with gorgeous colors.

I love your approach to capturing the feel of this rugged old camshaft. The running red paint is perfect! Love it! ❤️
Thanks Terri, glad you like it. I have to admit that those paint runs did not occur spontaneously! They were very much an artifice induced and controlled by me to get a certain effect one sees when rusty trails form on walls.

The fact that they are controlled drips/runs is even better! I've tried a few and I firmly believe it's better when they happen by accident. ;)

Back