Blindness to the Flaws in Your Art?

JessieNebulous

Do ya'll ever become so laser-focused on a piece yet at the same time, blind to its flaws until it's too late? That's what happened in this piece. It wasn't until I was far too long in the process that I noticed her shoulders are horribly lopsided and one eye is bigger than the other and her nostrils don't match. And it's such a shame too, because there's so many elements that I really like in it. I mean, look at those lips!
20221107_035059.jpg

Please tell me I'm not the only one who does this! 🤣 I think my new rule is that in between the sketch and the coloring, I have to take a break and walk away from the piece for a while, then come back to it with fresh eyes before continuing. Lesson learned!

Oh yes - I do this all the time! I get obsessed with a section and spend way too long on it, then I just want to finish it, and go too fast! I tried the walking away thing, but I'm someone who wants to finish a piece in one sitting. I have so many unfinished paintings because I've had to put it away because something has come up. It's rare that I'll finish a painting once I've put it away, if I like where it was going, I usually restart it and use the old piece as a study on where I can improve on it. I have waaaaayyyy to many pieces like this! LOL :LOL:
:LOL:

Me too - why do I not notice any goofs until I post something online and then I wonder how I could have missed something so obvious? Have you tried putting your piece upside down for awhile? It's kind of the same as what you said about coming back to it with fresh eyes. For some reason the upside down thing really helps me.

I agree with all the above. Wayne has a great idea, continue that white on her left shoulder up closer to the neck and block a lower curl or two. Some defining lines. All it needs is a little adjusting! A shield is a great idea for this. It's a wonderful start!

As to your question, I do too. I often take a photo or two--or get a piece posted before I see where some adjustments would be helpful. :unsure: Case in point, my new addition to the water media thread. In the finished piece, I actually made an adjustment to that part, but I see it needed more! :rolleyes: And there was another, I also didn't see until photographed, but can't do anything about it.
No, you're not the only one.

It's definitely not just you!

This is me virtually every time I draw an animal/bird/human:
1. Carefully sketch out shape/proportions
2. Carefully draw head. Looks perfect!
3. Carefully draw body. Looks perfect!
4. Start adding detail
5. Realise head too small for body
6. Erase and re-draw head several times
7. Once happy, keep going, not quite sure it looks right

I like to view my pictures from a distance, in a mirror, to check for things. The trouble is, when I'm at the drawing stage, I'm too enthusiastic to keep stopping.

Very common. There's sort of a blindness that over takes creators, even writers; where the ideal visionary thing inside your head blocks over what one has actually transcribed to material form. The most effective way to correct is a period of time without seeing what you've done and then looking at it again with fresh eyes as though it was done by someone else. Of course then there's the risk that you've lost the original vision for the piece. So the method of using a mirror might be safer; and quicker.

I do exactly what Triduana described up there! :ROFLMAO: (Only, her stuff always comes out beautifully. Me, I've invested in a small electric eraser!) :rolleyes:

Like ntl mentioned, I've also found that taking several work-in-progress (WIP) photos seems to help. Can't explain why, but my numerous mistakes become more obvious in a photo. Maybe cutting out the surroundings of the work space forces my eyes more critically...? dunno.

But your girl is gorgeous, and the few mistakes seem very fixable. You might also add some strokes of hair over that shoulder to soften the line.

Absolutely all the time. I don't think I have ever produced an image that I was 100% satisfied with, and invariably I only see the errors when the thing is done.

Oh no, it's not just you. I think we all do this. That's why it is good to take breaks and step back and look from a distance from time to time. Even good to step away and do something else and come back with fresh eyes. Still too easy to get wrapped up in your work and let it get away from you. You are doing an excellent job as far as technique. Give all the suggestions some thought and come up with a solution to save this one. A tiny bit of eye makeup will save the eye and the shoulder can be camouflaged.

A couple of ideas that I have are to
Use your cell phone, while off, to view the painting backwards, like a black mirror.
Use your cell phone, in camera mode, to shoot a photo in b/w to check the values.
And finally, I just try to have good recovery between painting sessions, so that I can be fresh at the easel.

This is one of the pluses of working with oil paints.
I'll work on a piece and then switch to other paintings while the first one drys for a few days. Buy the time I get back to it I get a fresh look at the peice and start noticing the mistakes from last time.

Back