Birds using Derwent Graphitint watersoluble pencils

Joy

Contributing Member
These were done in Derwent Graphitint watersoluble pencils. These are graphite with a bit of color, so different from other watercolor/colored pencils. (I know nothing about colored pencils.) A5 size on Hahnemuhle tinted paper, 95 lb. A new medium for me, as the YouTube artists were banging on about how great they were. Obviously, I am new to this and added a wee bit of watercolor in a few spots.The colors of the pencils are meant to be subdued, for a "hint" of color. There are no bright colors in the sets. Any hints/tips greatly appreciated.

The first is a house sparrow, followed by a barred owl.

F0464340-18D7-42AA-88C2-159463D29FC1_1_201_a.jpeg

8E8818B6-F9A2-4EB0-85CB-656E69D5C8FF_1_201_a.jpeg

Excellent work, Joy. I will look up the pencils, thanks for the information.

These are lovely! ❤️❤️ I have the Graphitints but have never found much use for them.

Your work is super! I've wanted a set ever since I first learned of them. I think in many instances, the muted colors are more natural.

Wow Joy, these are so good. I especially love your sparrow. It has a load of beautiful character. ❤️

These are both lovely Joy. I love the fluffy look of the owl. :)

Hello Joy.
I love very much these birds. Their shape is beautiful, they look really vivid.
(y)

Thank you, all, for taking the time to comment! I really appreciate the comaraderie here.
Penny - There are a lot of reviews of the pencils on YouTube. With your experience in CP, they should work well for you. They are made in the UK. A set of 12 at Dick Blick was $17.99 USD. I was going to get only 6 colors to start, but they were only $2 USD less than the 12 set.

Classic, these two on toned were the only time I used them. Next I am going to do a cat on white paper.

Awesome work! A barred owl is on my short list to do. A great horned one too. Since we moved here (at the edge of Honey Island Swamp) I have seen both often enough! It's kind of like wanting to journal my sightings. Now that I've dubbed myself Sparrow, I need to do one of them too.:)

Sparrow - Thanks for taking the time to comment on my threads. It would be great to be in an area with a lot of different owls. We have a lot of songbirds and hawks here. Your area, Marais de l'Île-de-Miel would be great to tour, just filled with wildlife. I was fortunate enough to do a "real life jungle cruise" on the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica.

Sparrow - Thanks for taking the time to comment on my threads. It would be great to be in an area with a lot of different owls. We have a lot of songbirds and hawks here. Your area, Marais de l'Île-de-Miel would be great to tour, just filled with wildlife. I was fortunate enough to do a "real life jungle cruise" on the Tarcoles River in Costa Rica.
There are tours here as well. Come down some time.

"Your area, Marais de l'Île-de-Miel " I have to admit I had never heard the French name for Honey Island Swamp. So interesting, thank you for sharing it with me. The main of my time in Louisiana has been south of New Orleans in the Mississippi River Delta region. A lot of bays and marsh there that lead out into the Gulf. There's a huge boating community from commercial fisherman to those serving the oil industry. (Katrina booted us out of there.) There are a few swampy areas there too but nothing as vast as Marais de l'Île-de-Miel. :)

lovely... maybe a bigger size will make it easier to handle color/lines transitions like watercolor... just a thought :)

Federico - Thank you. That is a good idea, but since these were new to me and slow going, I wanted to start out small.

Back