Cats in Derwent Graphitint water soluble pencil

Joy

Contributing Member
These two cats were done with Derwent Graphitint water soluble pencils, and a bit of watercolor. Both were done in Canson XL sketchbook, 140 watercolor paper, about 6 x 6. Since I am still learning to use the pencils, they are overworked in areas. The ginger cat’s BG has marks from the pencil that scored the cheaper paper. Plus, I reworked the whiskers five or six times, so they are not very natural. I am not familiar with CP in general, but they seem rather labor intensive/time-consuming. And I am a very slow painter to start. The white cat (Kay’s cat, Mini Pearl) has a BG done with watercolor, as I could not imagine doing anything but small areas with pencils.

2C275813-3B60-4193-91AC-029F46748C7C_1_201_a.jpeg

418567DF-C2E1-41BF-AA23-D2BBEDB65183_1_201_a.jpeg

They have lovely expressions, Joy. The ginger marmalade cat brings to mind a cat I had named “Blue”.

Very nice work on these cats, Joy. They both have that spark of life in the eyes and you did such nice work on them overall. I really like the background behind the white cat. It adds interest but doesn't detract from the gorgeous animal.

CPBG? You're so busted, lady!
Putting that aside, these are so very nice! I found the Graphitints to be very soft in color, but you have worked them up to more substance than I remember.

Thanks all, for taking a look and your kind comments.

Penny - I didn't know you ever had cats, just dogs.
CPBG? You're so busted, lady!
Putting that aside, these are so very nice! I found the Graphitints to be very soft in color, but you have worked them up to more substance than I remember.
Lamar - Not sure what the first line means. CP = colored pencil, BG = background, and are common abbreviations on forums, YouTube, etc. But I have not seen the two together. I did overwork these to get a brighter color.

They are both beautiful.
CP is time consuming but, well worth it. You can get so much detail with them and I love layering them. A bonus is the are not messy and do not require the cleanup of other mediums. They are a great option to take with you when you travel.

Not sure what the first line means.
I was just kidding. I know what they mean, I was just playing abbreviation cop. 😄 Just me being silly. And I missed a comma.
And I love the drawings. I don't think they're overworked at all; your drawings have more punch than I remember the pencils having, though I may be thinking of another brand, as I only have a single Graphitint pencil.

Thanks, Joe. I am trying to get to sketching more, but overdo everything.

Thanks, Kay. Great to "hear" from you. Keeping up with other forums and what one has to do on a daily basis is tiring, for sure.

These cats are so lovely, Joy! Such personalities. The white one is especially sweet. Well done!

Back