Barn Owl in Watercolor

Joy

Contributing Member
This is wc on Arches 140CP, 7 x 11, done as part of a challenge for another site. I used three colors, Quin. Sienna, Sap Green and Cobalt Blue. I was inspired by Hazel Soan’s Art of the Limited Palette, after seeing an interview with her on YouTube. I have ordered a copy on Blackwell’s (of which I was unaware) which has free shipping to the US and was far less expensive than Amazon, Target, etc. It is my hope that if I simplify color choice I can work more quickly and become familiar with the (supplies) colors I have. Apparently, I "need" another book to celebrate simplicity. Ah, the irony! ;)

DB8350BF-7132-4AA4-B47B-8A8A09AFF9A1_1_201_a.jpeg

Beautiful owl. Great color paillette. The eyes are done so well. I can feel his stare boring into my soul.

Very good. I love the blending of all the colours in the feathers. The face is beautiful.

I really love the blends on this, and the brilliant green background makes this piece stand out. I think you did a fantastic job on this in terms of technique of purity. Did you use a little bit of white watercolor pencil on this too, or are those white dashes painted? Either way, it's an excellent painting you should be proud of. ❤️

Amazing work, Joy. I would never have suspected a limited palette. Beautiful detail and the eyes are excellent.

Apparently, I "need" another book to celebrate simplicity. Ah, the irony! ;)

Oh, we can justify anything when it comes to art, right? You're too funny!! :LOL:

Thanks for your kind words!
Ayin, the white dots are pencil, and the white eye highlight is saved.

A lovely owl, Joy. I like the softness of it, and the colours. Well done.

You are welcome, Joy. I think a lot of artists have that dilemma - when to stop! Blackwells is a well established, well known book shop. 😁

I sent you a private message. 😎

Joy, this is so lovely! I admire how you boldly put colors into what we perceive as white feathers. Very dramatic!

You are welcome, Joy. I think a lot of artists have that dilemma - when to stop! Blackwells is a well established, well known book shop. 😁

I sent you a private message. 😎

Schuee, did you send that on Thursday? For some odd reason, that message came to me! Let me know if Joy received it. If not, you can probably send it again to her. Mods and admins can't see private messages, so I really don't know how that could happen. Sorry about that.

This is lovely! I especially like the way the wing kind of trails off into the surreal blue/green. And the eyes are soulful.

Jessie, the specific and encouraging comment is greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to look and post!

Ayin, I did receive Penny's PM on Thursday. Not sure what happened on your end. Thanks for your concern, time and effort for all of us.

Back