Bad Art Advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

JessieNebulous

So, the art community I was a part of prior to this one was mainly populated by younger artists (20's and teens) and a lot of them favored creating manga and anime inspired original characters. No problem there. But when asked how they could improve, I would usually suggest they study some gesture and anatomy to loosen up their subjects and give them fluidity, and to use references for pose ideas. Over and over, I was met with the responses, "References are for 'fake' artists" and "Fundamentals are only for realism artists."

I admit, I once fell prey to the "references = bad" mindset, and it seriously stunted my artistic growth for a long time. "Fundamentals are only for realism artists" flummoxed me though. I think it's seriously flawed thinking that's going to hold a lot of them back until they unlearn it.

Have you guys heard some bad art advice or ideals? Let's discuss!

some people got it .. you have it or you don't
you have no talent and should not be here
that's wrong, you should stop now while you are ahead of the game
I'm sure I've heard a ton more but they all amount to the same .. they can't so you can't ..

some people got it .. you have it or you don't
you have no talent and should not be here
that's wrong, you should stop now while you are ahead of the game
I'm sure I've heard a ton more but they all amount to the same .. they can't so you can't ..
Yes! I hate the idea that art is solely a gift and not a skill that can be built through practice.

I'm sorry you fell for that (for a minute) Jessie. :(

Oh I've heard doozies!

"You'll never amount to anything."
"Playing with painting is fun and all, but you'll never be able to make a living at it."
"Find a trade to fall back on."
"My kid could do what you do. Don't you know you're a joke?"
"You have to be able to draw the human figure perfectly (from memory) before you can be taken seriously."
"You can't make abstract art until you first know how to draw like a master."
"You can't break the rules until you know how to execute them first."
"Being an artist is just an excuse to sleep in late. You are a professional BUM!"
"People buy your art because they feel sorry for you."

I am not making this up....

Hm, at least five of them aren't advice Arty, they are insults, and rather nasty ones at that. Sorry you had to endure that.

Wow - some of you talented people have heard some real garbage.

My take is that, on some level, maybe such a deep level they can't even acknowledge it - these naysayers recognize the courage it takes for artists to attempt self-expression, which is the basis of art. They lack the courage themselves, so all they have left is to erode another's confidence. Most of the artists I know (myself included!) battle with fear and self-doubt as it is, so they fall prey to this kind of thing.

"What's it to you?" is my response. ;) Usually shuts them up.

Wow - some of you talented people have heard some real garbage.

My take is that, on some level, maybe such a deep level they can't even acknowledge it - these naysayers recognize the courage it takes for artists to attempt self-expression, which is the basis of art. They lack the courage themselves, so all they have left is to erode another's confidence. Most of the artists I know (myself included!) battle with fear and self-doubt as it is, so they fall prey to this kind of thing.

"What's it to you?" is my response. ;) Usually shuts them up.
Oh, absolutely. I think a hint of doubt in your art is probably healthy, as it can help keep you motivated and striving for improvement. But so many of us take it way too far, and I think a lot of that has to do with garbage advice and critiques on our early works. One young artist from that community said she actually tears up her pieces when they're done because she's embarrassed at how "bad" they are. I felt so sorry for her feeling that way. I also tried to explain that critiquing your own work is part of improving, and you can't do that if you destroy everything you make! Not sure if I got through to her, but I hope so.

That was very kind of you to talk to her about this - it is an issue most of us recognize and have to come to terms with on some level. I feel badly for anyone who goes to the trouble to create something, then destroys it without letting anyone look. Impossible demands put on yourself!

I completely agree with your comment about having some doubt about your art keeps you motivated and trying. That's a very good assessment, really. :)

I think my parents thinking I was worthless gave me a healthy chip on my shoulder and gave me mass motivation to prove them wrong. It never worked in that regard, but it helped me to be very ambitious. For that, I suppose I am grateful? In a way. Although, I know so many artists and the encouragement they got from their parents really helped them too. Who is to say what works? But don't feel bad for me. It did help me to be very independent and strong. ;)

Artyczar, what you have shared with us is quite moving; I think you may feel better for doing it. It can be a great relief to unburden sometimes.

I'm sorry you fell for that (for a minute) Jessie. :(

Oh I've heard doozies!

"You'll never amount to anything."
"Playing with painting is fun and all, but you'll never be able to make a living at it."
"Find a trade to fall back on."
"My kid could do what you do. Don't you know you're a joke?"
"You have to be able to draw the human figure perfectly (from memory) before you can be taken seriously."
"You can't make abstract art until you first know how to draw like a master."
"You can't break the rules until you know how to execute them first."
"Being an artist is just an excuse to sleep in late. You are a professional BUM!"
"People buy your art because they feel sorry for you."

I am not making this up....
My dad's favorite was, "What are you going to do next?" This was invariable no matter how well I'd accomplished what I'd just finished. Praise for that was never granted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back