At the window

Terri

Supporting Member
Kodak HIE (infrared) film.

This one was posed. I was hoping the shadowy corner would obliterate the figure a little more than it did. Going for mood.

Brad at window IR (2).jpg

Thanks, Wayne! I'd like to take this negative into the darkroom. This is me playing with a scanned negative digitally, which isn't really my cuppa. :)

You could do it digital .. do you have Photoshop?
No PS, since I'm not paying the monthly fees. I do have digital editing software, though. I don't disagree that it could be manipulated digitally. It's just so much more fun to get into the darkroom under the red lights. :)

Hubby looks kind of anguished there, Terri. I like the photo, though. I like the grain, for one thing.

I'm glad to hear that you're playing with film again, even if it is by way of digital :) What size neg?

Hubby looks kind of anguished there, Terri.
Excellent! This was staged for emotion and mood. heh

This was 35mm film. HIE apparently came in different formats but I never shot anything other than 35mm with it. Finicky stuff - total darkness required for loading/unloading, or you'd fog it. I had to use an older camera, too - my more modern 35 kits have little infrared film advance systems and would also fog this stuff!

Yes, the grain really shines with a good enlargement. Yummy stuff!

I like the mood for sure. The lighting, even more. The grain is pretty perfect--I'm impressed with the print. I wish I could see it in real life. I kind of wish your subject looked more "anguished," as Laika said. It's a great photo over all, like someone who knew what they were doing took it! ;)

Thanks, Arty! I am happy with the grain size, and the outside glow of the light. I don't do a lot of staged shots, so it was challenging but fun! :)

Thank you, Christel! I remember us talking about your success with gimp before, and I downloaded it based on your recommendation. I use it and Paint Shop Pro on occasion. :)

Beautiful shot, Terri. I love your enthusiasm for working with film. The window light and the grain look perfect to me. I agree that less light on the figure (or maybe a different t-shirt?) might have gone a step closer to the moody shot you wanted.

Thank you, triss! I'm definitely a film geek. :) The shirt was deliberate to make sure there was some contrast; I wanted that outline. There's little that can't be helped in an actual darkroom, with a little bit of burning over the figure.

I appreciate you commenting - thanks again! 💕

Terri - Thanks for explaining why the shirt was a deliberate choice. I'm really interested in B&W photography, so I love learning more about the kind of thought and planning that goes into getting a shot like this.

Terri - Thanks for explaining why the shirt was a deliberate choice. I'm really interested in B&W photography, so I love learning more about the kind of thought and planning that goes into getting a shot like this.
Absolutely! You probably already know that it's not difficult to play with contrast/values with a negative in the darkroom. But you must have a solid negative to start with, and especially with finicky film like HIE. (It's way past its expiration date, too, another variable.)

So I work carefully to make sure the available light still records everything on the film, and give it decent agitation when developing to get the grain a poppin'. :)

Back