Ariel Neighbourhood

When I paint I have to wear a mask because I have multiple chemical sensitivity, but even wearing a mask after an hour the acrylic paint goes for my throat causing second stage anaphylaxis symptoms which results in a very hoarse voice. So, at the moment I'm not painting, but when I do feel like painting again I think I will have to purchase a different type of mask, something to keep the VOCs out. Even the modern low VOC and zero VOCs can still affect people with MCS.
I have some info that may be of help to you. I don't have the physical issues you have, but I've purchased a respirator with interchangeable filters so that I can work with fumed silica to make an oil painting medium. The brand I have is 3M and they have a handy chart to assist with choice of the proper respirator/mask/filters for different situations: https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/safety-.../respiratory-protection/respirator-selection/

Thank you Annie, very kind. I will definitely look at these when I decide to do some painting again as the masks that I currently use aren't good enough.

Hi Katie, nice to see you here I'm sorry to hear of your not painting because of the way chemicals affect you. However, happy to see you here.

I'm fine thank you :)

Thank you Annie, very kind. I will definitely look at these when I decide to do some painting again as the masks that I currently use aren't good enough.
I do hope it helps. There are other brands, of course, but 3M is fairly ubiquitous so they're likely to be around when filter replacements are needed. Also, a respirator is much more effective in blocking contact with the stuff outside it than a mask is, because they're constructed to form a tight seal. One other reason is that they're made in different sizes so they fit an individual's face better. But some of them are made of materials that are in themselves sometimes irritating. If you decide to get a 3M respirator, be sure to look at the material it's made of to avoid any that aren't going to work for you.

Sorry to hear that Katie, I always enjoy your work,what about watercolour, I know it's not the same but at least you woudn't have to wear a mask

Thanks Annie, I really love working with acrylic and charcoal. The ancient and the modern as it were🙂

Thanks Annie, yes the contrast is what I enjoy both to look at and to work with

Sorry to hear that Katie, I always enjoy your work,what about watercolour, I know it's not the same but at least you woudn't have to wear a mask
Just saw this. I'm not keen on watercolour. But, I'm feeling inspired just by looking on this site. And so I'm thinking maybe I could use my pastels again if I order some better masks as the dust can be hazardous even for 'normal' folk..I will order something from the site Annie sent me.

I try with watercolour periodically and admire a lot of watercolour artists but I reckon it's too delicate a medium for me, thats why I love acrylics, they don't seem to mind my treatment of them🙂. I remember you used to do some lovely pastels

Back