Arcola Creek Bridge

Trier

Supporting Member
Again, from a long time ago.
I think some of the green distant trees and parts of the sky are an acrylic underpainting, and I don't know whether I used all regular oils or some water miscible oils, just can't remember.

I do remember being down in the creek and trying to do a PA and then coming back home and doing a couple of versions days later.

18 x 2 ins oil on gessoed brown Kraft paper - brush, and mostly knife

P1010125Arcola Bridge CropLarge.JPG

the sky is a little more dappled IRL

here is a crop that I kinda like because I feel that I am down in the creek again.
P1010125ArcolaBridge CropM2.JPG

I really like that. The crop not so much. I love how you used the pure blue hue as temperament for the entire piece.
May I ask who was the artist that inspired such an approach? It is very effective.

Nice. Both the original and the crop have their merits. I'd like to see some lighter blue or gray highlights here and there on the bridge. Well done. (y) :giggle:

I agree with Wayne in the crop not being preferable, but I do love the wide shot of the painting itself. It's another really good one IMO. ♥️

I really like that. The crop not so much. I love how you used the pure blue hue as temperament for the entire piece.
May I ask who was the artist that inspired such an approach? It is very effective.
Thanks Wayne.
I can't say for sure, but as I paint and choose colors as I go along , Vincent's paintings of The Church At St. Remy and The Wheatfields, and others, are frequently somewhat in mind. I would guess that the Church one might have been thought of here.
I also have read about many paintings where blue was used as the shadow color and I bear that in mind.

Back