Another Black and White

CaliAnn

small 9 x 12 watercolor, black and white value study. c&c welcome:

treefence.jpg

This is gorgeous! So much depth, texture and atmosphere and no color necessary. I am mentally lounging on that grassy hillside - 'hope you don't mind.

I love it! B&W can be just as atmospheric as anything done that is rich in color. This is so beautiful, CaliAnn - excellent work!

This is beautiful! I love the effect of just using black and white, it's so atmospheric and silvery. I love it.

Oh, I like this one a lot, CaliAnn! The way that fence drifts off into the distance is the icing on a beautiful cake :)

Did you use any white gouache?
I used DS titanium white where I wanted a little more "pop". Other than that, I used lots of layers and manipulated water drops. Also, when I do a black and white, I try to use the brightest white paper I have and leave areas unpainted until I'm ready to add the pops of white for flowers, ect. I have some holbein white gauche ( I'm sure I misspelled that!) - but I find it so chalky and it dries so fast and in clumps. Do you know of any good white gauche?

Daniel Smith! Okay. I racked my brain going over the manufacturers I know, but I don't know when I'd have gotten to that one. :LOL:

Anyway - whatever you did, it worked here like a charm!

Lovely, I really like the disappearing fence. Value, texture, composition—it’s all there!

Back