And now for the weird

JennieJo, sketching is great and allows to express ourselves in a highly personal manner. We have to tell everything and show essential in just a few lines, in some minutes (or seconds). Unfortunately I did never master sketch although I learned legacy drawing in an art school.
I have a love hate relationship with it!

I have a love hate relationship with it!
I tend to think that sketching can be harder than painting, if we want to develop a very personal style, something that one would know that it is OUR work. It takes time. The recipe is to work constantly on this, and not be afraid to leave imagination free! 😮

I remember a sketcher in the subway late night. For several weeks we used to take the same train. He usually went out in a specific station, about 8 minutes later. In this time he had his small format sketchbook and a pencil (no eraser at all) and sketched fast to make the most he could in that time. Obviously his subjects were scenes from within the train like other people. I'd like to ask him for sketches of me, however my work hours did change some time later, and I didn't meet him anymore :(

Arty, I don't find them "weird". I used to do similar me too long ago at school as a teenager, every time I didn't find interest in the course! And now I still think that working on fantasy is a creative work. These drawings are directly related to the psychedelic art from the 1960s and 1970s, greatly expressed on the LP record sleeves. Of course those were usually more elaborated, nevertheless I'm sure the base is solid :)
Thanks classic. I suppose I called them weird because I am told that much of my art is "weird." by a lot of people. But perhaps those people are not really "art" people, now that I think of it. My work is not related to psychedelic art in any way, as it comes from a highly personal writing process. These are sketches that come from stream-of-consciousness writings, or sometimes just my personal feelings like a journal, so they end up a bit surreal. It's a formula taught to me from an art mentor. Many of these drawings wind up as paintings.

I will share a page that wound up as a painting, but, like I said, it's very personal:

12August20162.jpg

This later turned into an oil painting on canvas (34 x 34 inches):

whiw72.jpg

Thank you for sharing this with us, Ayin. ❤️ The Eye Book is a process that really works for you - it's really impressive. I have played with it and quickly learned to appreciate the actual discipline involved.

Thanks Terri. I almost gave up on the process recently, but after a change of heart, I'm back to it. :)

Back